What's new

Anyone Else Fly Fish?

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be checking out Cabela's website. Hopefully I'll be trying some fly fishing by the end of the summer.

not yet, but i'm about to start.

picked up some ALLEN gear recently, but haven't use it yet.

ALPHA 5/6 Reel
matching rod and line
misc flies from cabellas

proxy.php

Get an Ugly Stick in an appropriate weight for your intent (or get something in a 5 or 6 weight for general use) and the dirt cheap Hobbs Creek large arbor reel, Bass Pro has them for about $40. Add to that backing, apropriate weight forward line (make sure you put it on the right way, I didn't the first time) and some leader material and tapered leaders (unless using an untapered rig, or tying your own tapers) and you are fishing for somewhere around $150-$200.

This combination is not "excellent" it is "solid" and "value" you are getting a more durable rod at the loss of sensitivity, and people will joke "you can always wade out and club them" with your kit.

If you find you enjoy fishing this way and do it regularly, upgrade the rod and switch the reel and line over. You can get more expensive reels as well and restore your starter kit as a backup or for a friend. If you find you perfer other fishing methods, you are not out a large chunk of cash.

Phil

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
There seems to be a number of avid fly fishers here. I fish for pleasure with you typical cast and reel rod but have been interested in trying fly fishing. Can you all recommend or suggest a starter rod/reel brands? Keeping things on the cheap of course.

I have a decent Cabellas Rod and Reel in 6 wt. The rod is in a cloth with an aluminum case. It never sees any use. If you are interested in it let me know. I will let you have it for basically the shipping. I have no idea what that would be but it should not be to outrageous. Send me a PM if interested. I may be out of pocket until Monday night. But I will get back with you.

There seems to be a number of avid fly fishers here. I fish for pleasure with you typical cast and reel rod but have been interested in trying fly fishing. Can you all recommend or suggest a starter rod/reel brands? Keeping things on the cheap of course.

You want a 5 weight. That is a good all-around rod. And get a rod with a warranty. Trust me... you will break your rod eventually.

Cabela's is a nice place. I'm an Orvis person, so I'd check them out too. If you can cast a few that would help, even if you've never cast before.

I've been waving a fly rod around for the past few decades, but I don't really consider it fly fishing. It is camouflage, else people would wonder what that weirdo was doing standing around in the river:blushing: Doggone, it is a good way to greet the passing of winter.

Top Bottom