What's new

Cheap Alum Block?

Does anyone know of an online store that carries cheap alum block? I've heard that a block can be had for really cheap if you know where to look.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Does anyone know of an online store that carries cheap alum block? I've heard that a block can be had for really cheap if you know where to look.

Alum Blocks are sold in many local shops and supermarkets. I really had never had the need to purchase it on-line. If you say where exactly you live, I'm sure someone here can help you.
Anyhow, allow me to present a GREAT product called "RazoRock" Alum, sold by Joe (RazoRock here at B&B), and in stock in several on-line stores.
West Coast Shaving also has it, here is the link: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/RazoRock-Alum-in-Case_p_566.html

If you have a Whole Foods or other natural foods store, look in the deodorant department they usually have lots of deoderant crystal stuff, double check the ingredients for potasium alum, and there you have it, a nice big hunk of alum for like $5. It is the only reasonably priced thing in all of Whole Foods!

If you have a South Asian market around, you might find it there too. I picked up one for $1 at a nearby grocery store, and you'll probably find some great budget priced creams and blades too.

Go to an Indian Food Store... you can get "Hero" brand alum (usually either $0.99 or $1.99) per block. You might score and find Godrej shaving cream there too (usually under $4.00). One time and one time only I found blades as well, but the alum is always there!

If you have a Whole Foods or other natural foods store, look in the deodorant department they usually have lots of deoderant crystal stuff, double check the ingredients for potasium alum, and there you have it, a nice big hunk of alum for like $5. It is the only reasonably priced thing in all of Whole Foods!

I'm currently in Vancouver BC. I have seen these deodorant sticks before and always wondered what the deal was with them. Are they made of straight potassium alum or are there added chemicals or elements that could cause irritation?

I'm currently in Vancouver BC. I have seen these deodorant sticks before and always wondered what the deal was with them. Are they made of straight potassium alum or are there added chemicals or elements that could cause irritation?

Sometimes these deodorants are made of ammonium alum, which is less natural.
Look for potassium alum, which is better.

You can get a nice block of potassium alum through vintagescent.
It's from the same maker of the well known 444 aftershave gel.

Last edited:

As already mentioned, most of these are ammonium alum. If you can find them tho, the potassium alum is a bit more effective and possibly less irritating. The deo sticks can have added goodies like aloe vera thrown in, or they may be just pure crystal.

I picked up a deo stick (rock) of the potassium alum crystal at the local Earth Fare for just over $5 under their own label. It is very good and is pure potassium alum. Their liquid version has grape fruit seed extract, aloe and a couple other natural ingredients added as well.

I picked up a deo stick (rock) of the potassium alum crystal at the local Earth Fare for just over $5 under their own label. It is very good and is pure potassium alum. Their liquid version has grape fruit seed extract, aloe and a couple other natural ingredients added as well.

Did it come with a free non-shaving, patchouli wearing, over the hill hippy chick to go with it?
:lol:

I'll shout-out to Joe and RazoRock as well.

The price is right, but what really makes this product is the packaging. It's great to hold and store, as opposed to a squarish block that's not so easy to handle.

Read over the website, he's got quite a few alum tidbits there that would probably answer most of your questions.

which was what?

Worship an Oak tree and give a human sacrifice to Anubis every week.

Their liquid rock deo. It has potassium alum, aloe, hemp oil & grapefruit seed extract. This is the first week and a very long time that I have had zero swelling, rash, redness or burning of any kind.

Worship an Oak tree and give a human sacrifice to Anubis every week.

Huh. Seems that might get inconvenient over time.

Their liquid rock deo. It has potassium alum, aloe, hemp oil & grapefruit seed extract. This is the first week and a very long time that I have had zero swelling, rash, redness or burning of any kind.

Interesting. I wonder if you'd have similar results with liquid thai crystal. Altho, I seem to remember that grapefruit seed ext. is antibacterial as well. Hemp oil is soothing as is aloe.

cool.

Interesting. I wonder if you'd have similar results with liquid thai crystal. Altho, I seem to remember that grapefruit seed ext. is antibacterial as well. Hemp oil is soothing as is aloe.

cool.

I have tried the Naturally Fresh brand of the liquid crystal before, and it was ok, but I still had issues, and it didn't last. I think the ingredient combo in this one is what makes the difference. It's labeled as Lafes natural and Organic Roll On Deodorant. www.lafes.com

Top Bottom