What's new

Customized Simpsons

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
With the arrival of the customized Simpson Eagle G3 and recent talk about Simpson's policy regarding the customization of their brushes, I was wondering how many of their brushes have been customized?

I have seen a Duke with two-band hair, the "Ehsan" and now the upcoming Simpson Douglas ( a two-banded 57 with a longer loft). We can even include the Limited Edition Astor with two-band as a one-off line of their brushes.

Which brushes in the Simpson line do you know of that have been customized?

Also, which Simpson brushes would you like to s customized and how?

I mean... not that I need another brush or anything. :whistling:

I'd love to get a complete line of Best of all of Simpson brushes. Not the entire line mind you but just say like the Fifties Series I'd want one of the 5 available.

There are 4 brushes though that aren't made in Best which would have to be a custom. The Tulip, Beaufort, formerly the Eagle but that's covered, and the Emperor. I like a 2-band here and there, happy with the one 3-band Super I have, but man I love the Best grade! I think the Beaufort could hold a lot of promise in Best, and especially a Tulip 2! :thumbup1:

Does the Simfix Grosvenor count?

And the one Simpson brush that I wanted customized, was - The Eagle. I do wish Simpson would return to the more fan shaped knots.

I do wish Simpson would return to the more fan shaped knots.

+1

I have a Chubby 1 in best that is the perfect traditional Simpson bulb/fan hybrid, and it is the brush I am happiest with. Its really perfect. It seems the 2-band super brushes seem to be much more bulb shaped, I wonder why? Vulfix brushes are generally quite fan shaped as well, it seems. My #41 is. There must be a reason why so many of the Simpson line have become so bulbous.:huh:

I would love to see a Beaufort in best. It is cousin to the Keyhole, but with a cowlick and lazy eye. My wish list only contains a Beaufort, Berkeley and Harvard, but the latter two already come in Best.

I would like the Duke 3 In 2Band.
Its a looker isn't it...

proxy.php

Does anyone know why the policy changed? The group buys certainly move product and should be a great advertising benefit. I certainly thought better of Simpson for makin special editions for the die-hard shaving community.

It does sound terribly frustrating for them not to offer the grades we want on some brushes.

I lucked out, as my beloved PJ's come in both Best and 3-band!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Not customization per say, but I would like to see the Emperor Line in 2 band with a fan shape like they use to be. In fact, I would like to see all the simpson lineup

What does two-band mean? Can you enlighten me please? Thank you.

There are two bands of color in that knot; white tips and black shafts. These hairs are coarser and typically have more backbone, yet soft tips. This is a desirable trait for a lot of gents who prefer to face-lather with soaps, as the increased backbone aids in loading the brush and provides an enhanced "scrubbing" effect on the face.

By contrast, Silvertip brushes have three bands of color, and are typically finer hairs (thinner, if you will). They usually yield a less-firm brush. You won't commonly see them referred to as three-band brushes though - that's the "default" (or, more common) appearance of badger hair that presents banding.

Pure Badger, like whats in a Tweezerman, doesn't show banding at all. Best Badger/Finest Badger has been seen in either default three-band appearance (like Simpson's Best or perhaps Edwin Jagger Best), or two-band appearance (The Golden Nib sells his two-band knots under the "Finest" moniker, while Shavemac and Savile Row are three-band).

Aside: You'll see some knots which have white at the base of the hair, but are black at the ends - that's referred to as "Black Badger" (a la Shea Moisture Shave Brush). It looks like the inverse of the two-band hair pictured above, but the two have very little in common otherwise.

Well, hopefully the above post clearly illustrates just how unclear badger hair grading is. It's a hot stinky unregulated mess.

Top Bottom