What's new

Seiko Monster or Seiko 5 XXL?

Folks, I am considering buying either the classic Black Monster, or Seiko 5 XXL in black or black/steel. Any of you gents have tried this particular Seiko 5 on, and how did you like it?

proxy.php

Can't try this on locally, because neither watch is available here. I know the XXL is a bit larger (47mm) and at least twice as expensive, but is it worth the money, if the alternative is the Monster?

I can't talk about the Seiko 5, but i have an Orange Monster that I really like for a beater watch. It doesn't keep great time--runs a few minutes fast each week.

My wrist is 7 and a quarter inches. I can't imagine wearing anything bigger than the Monster. I don't know the size of your wrist, but that may be a consideration for you--you mentioned the Seiko 5 is larger.

That is the 'Sumo' right? It looks nice but it's a tad too expensive for my purposes. In fact, having considered it all, I think I will drop the XXL altogether, and take the Monster, and a Seiko 007 (another classic) instead. That will save me a few bob too, and I get two nice Seikos.

Now to decide whether to take the Monster & the 007 with steel bracelet or with a rubber one...I usually tend to go for steel ones, and get a rubber one as an accessory (they're cheaper). On the other hand, I have read that the steel bracelet on the 007 kinda let's it down a bit?

That is the 'Sumo' right? It looks nice but it's a tad too expensive for my purposes. In fact, having considered it all, I think I will drop the XXL altogether, and take the Monster, and a Seiko 007 (another classic) instead. That will save me a few bob too, and I get two nice Seikos.

Now to decide whether to take the Monster & the 007 with steel bracelet or with a rubber one...I usually tend to go for steel ones, and get a rubber one as an accessory (they're cheaper). On the other hand, I have read that the steel bracelet on the 007 kinda let's it down a bit?

Not a bad idea. I had a BM years ago, but I can't remember much about the bracelet. Here is a shot of my modded (B. Yao) 007 on bracelet.
proxy.php

Both the BM and 007 are nice watches for the price, but the Sumo is a big step up in quality. I don't care for a rubber strap on a SS watch, but lots of folks do.

I love my Orange Monster, very cool watch. It is equipped with the stainless band, but I imagine it would look cool with a NATO strap too. Happy hunting!

Top Bottom