What's new

Found a nice Perique tobacco blend

I recently found a nice Perique tobacco blend made by a company called D & R Tobacco out of North Carolina. After some research, I've found that D & R own the only Perique operation in the world and it's down in Louisiana. I imagine this is why the price is reasonable. It's called Rimboche' A.P. (Acadian Perique).

From the bag: A flavorful blend of the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos and a rare Acadian Perique.

I've been smoking it for about 4 days now, stuffed in Vera Cruz Midnight tubes. It's been a delightful smoke and the Perique is a nice smell. Not too overwhelming. It's a tasty blend.

Just thought I'd share.

Interesting. I have some MacBaren's Acadian Perique. Maybe I should give this a whirl.

As I understand it, D & R supplies everyone else with Perique so that would mean MacBaren buys for its blends Perique from D & R. As I read, the process involves lots of pressure in whiskey barrels, each barrel being sold to other tobacco companies for their blends as well as for D & R's own blend.

I'm smoking one right now actually. Not too strong, doesn't stink. The only little issue I have with it is for using in cigarette tubes, I think it should be a little finer cut than it is. It's sort of ribbon cut. But if you've got a good stuffing machine, it's great for tubes. It also smokes very well in a pipe, which is what it's labeled for but so is everything else now.

Do follow up on the MacBaren. I'm interested in your take on it.

Do follow up on the MacBaren. I'm interested in your take on it.

I did manage to snag some MacBaren's HH Acadian Perique and recently finished off a tin. It's not overly strong and to my palette, it doesn't seem to have a top flavour. When smoked, the bitterness of the perique is quite evident but mellows as the smoke goes. About half way through, the burley becomes the most pronounced but other tobacco characteristics can be tasted as well. All in all, a good smoke but there is a caveat. Be careful how you light it, as it's sensitive to heavy puffing. If you really like to suck back on a tobacco to light it, the tobacco becomes very bitter it takes a while for it to die down. Regardless, I'm currently cellaring about 6 tins at the moment.

I did manage to snag some MacBaren's HH Acadian Perique and recently finished off a tin. It's not overly strong and to my palette, it doesn't seem to have a top flavour. When smoked, the bitterness of the perique is quite evident but mellows as the smoke goes. About half way through, the burley becomes the most pronounced but other tobacco characteristics can be tasted as well. All in all, a good smoke but there is a caveat. Be careful how you light it, as it's sensitive to heavy puffing. If you really like to suck back on a tobacco to light it, the tobacco becomes very bitter it takes a while for it to die down. Regardless, I'm currently cellaring about 6 tins at the moment.

Thanks. I'll try that light up technique and see what difference, if any, I notice.

Thanks. I'll try that light up technique and see what difference, if any, I notice.

Yes, always use a gentle touch with lighting tobacco whenever possible and always char/false light. Just draw enough so that the flame light touches the leaf, almost like it's dancing in top of it. This will cut down on the bitterness when you smoke it. Take a little practice but the dividends are worth it.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
For some reason real Perique is only grown in a small area in St. James Parish LA. Every blender that uses Perique gets it from the same place.

After doing a little reading about D&R what you are probably smoking is RYO cigarette tobacco that for tax evasion reasons has been relabeled as pipe tobacco. That's not to say that it is inferior, but this type of tobacco tends to be cut finer and packaged dryer than tobacco that is manufactured for use in a pipe.

edit: I see you already knew this.

For some reason real Perique is only grown in a small area in St. James Parish LA. Every blender that uses Perique gets it from the same place.

After doing a little reading about D&R what you are probably smoking is RYO cigarette tobacco that for tax evasion reasons has been relabeled as pipe tobacco. That's not to say that it is inferior, but this type of tobacco tends to be cut finer and packaged dryer than tobacco that is manufactured for use in a pipe.

edit: I see you already knew this.

I don't know about the dryness issue. D & R is considered one of the finer tobacco companies and they certainly aren't selling Gambler type tobacco. I bought 2 blends of theirs, the Perique blend and another blend called Three Sails. Both are very moist and I have to let the Three Sails sit out about 5 minutes to dry a bit.

Top Bottom