What's new

How Full is a 75% Full tub of TOBS?

I am in the middle of a trade. I said that my tub of TOBS Avocado was 75% full (in other words, I have used 25% of the product).

My tub is at 50% right now (they are not 100% full when they leave the factory). So does a tub of TOBS that is 50% full equal a 25% used / 75% left tub of TOBS?

This board is so gentlemanly that I don't want to send the tub if I have used more than 25% (or if I have, let him know if he still wants to trade) :001_smile

Thanks!

Well my new tub of TOBS sandlewood is 32mm filled in a container that is 47mm high (yes I did just stick my calipers in my tub of cream :blink:)

Hope that helps :thumbup1:

The volume may not be the best indicator of how much cream is left since creams tend to become more compact overtime. I think using the weight may be easier and more accurate, they sell their product by weight in 150 g (5.3 oz net) portions and the container weights approximately 100 to 110 g (3.5 - 3.8 oz). A new tub with the disc weights approximately 260 g (9oz).

Al raz.

I concur...just as cereals are sold by weight and not volume etc. Now of course to do that you'd have to have each trader get a scale with a tare function, and get the tare weight of an empty TOBS container, then weigh the partial tubs to get the actual weight of the shaving cream within. Then you can set your agreed upon price per ounce if you choose to do so.

Anything more complicated than that might require some counseling, or some advanced math, and unfortunately I failed most of those classes. :laugh:

I said that my tub of TOBS Avocado was 75% full (in other words, I have used 25% of the product)

This. I always err on the conservative side (meaning: if I think there is 90% left, I'll say 80%-85%). If you are concerned snap a picture or two.

The volume may not be the best indicator of how much cream is left since creams tend to become more compact overtime. I think using the weight may be easier and more accurate, they sell their product by weight in 150 g (5.3 oz net) portions and the container weights approximately 100 to 110 g (3.5 - 3.8 oz). A new tub with the disc weights approximately 260 g (9oz).

Al raz.

Good idea.:thumbup1:

Have you accounted for curvature of the cream towards the middle of the tub? If I recall correctly, the cream is mounded in the middle when it is first opened. Over time, mine gets hollowed out in the middle.

I'm not entirely sure how you can account for this, but I think it would require trigonometry, if not calculus.

Just take a picture. I find pictures work much better than percentages. Pictures allow the other person to see how much is really left. Good luck with the sale.

From the customer's perspective on this discussion, I just bought the tub and the pic said it all. Plenty there. Want to try the product. Good enough for me.
Thanks filedog! No calipers required.:thumbup:

Al raz.

+1000. Absolutely agree with Al here. Given what you've got and probably have not weighed your tub before and after, I would eyeball it (like you have done)... in your case, 75% may be right (because you only used 25%...according to you)

Thanks for the replies. The person I'm trading with said he was fine with my description. And I gave his a nice sized sample of CF Limes and a little sample of Acqua di Parma just in case I was wrong. :)

1) That you worried about it shows that you are a gentleman and concerned about the propriety and fairness of the trade, and I don't doubt in the least that your descrpition was honest and accurate.

2) Everyone knows that teh only way to actually measure partially used tubs is by MOUTH. Tilt your head back and start soooping. Then, divide the number of teeth exposed by the number you have in total, and report that percetnage tot he other party to the trade. Return cream to tub, and sell with confidence. That is how I measure all 12 tubs I sold or traded on BST last week, and haven't heard any complaints yet.

Well my new tub of TOBS sandlewood is 32mm filled in a container that is 47mm high (yes I did just stick my calipers in my tub of cream :blink:)

Hope that helps :thumbup1:

Based on Joe's measurements, the tub, brand new is only filled to 68% capacity (32/47). If your tub is half full it would measure out at 23.5mm. 23.5/32 = 73.5% of the original amount of product remaining. By just eyeballing you've estimated fairly accurately. Also, I feel that measureing by weight would be the least accurate. The reason the cream would condense or concentrate would be due to water evaporation. Water is the heaviest ingredient used in creams and soaps. So, if there is substantial evaporation, there would be more product (albeit dried out) than what the weight would indicate. Though, as long as the tub isn't incredibly old or hasn't been stored with out the lid tightly closed, either method would probably yield similar results.

Top Bottom