What's new

osic's straight shaving journal

After about a month and a half of DE wetshaving, I've decided to move 'up' to to a straight. I placed an order at whippeddog.com and grabbed a filly strop and a Illinois #127 strop from a B&B member.

11/8 (11th August for all those backwards Americans)

The razor arrived in the mail and after a quick tidy up it was looking great, the edge Larry has put on it looks fantastic. I rushed to the bathroom and after a quick Kyle's prep and some prorasso pre shave cream, I lathered up some TOBS lavender and was ready to go.

I was feeling a little nervous about scraping an unguarded blade across my face, with the result being an ever so slightly shaking hand holding the razor. I started down the side of my face, with the smallest possible angle I could, just to get a feel for the blade. As I progressed through my first WTG pass I started to open the angle up and by the time I was finished I was getting somewhere near 30 degrees. I decided to do a 2nd WTG pass and leave it at that for today.

I didn't nick myself at all and I have no razor burn. The shave doesn't rate on the CCS-BBS scale, but I don't mind, I'm much more excited that I didn't die in a pool of my own blood.

G'day osic. That sounds like a pretty good start. The trembling hand is pretty common for the first time I think. Relax and enjoy the experience. Just be prepared for when you cut yourself because undoubtedly you will at some stage. It's all part of the learning curve. Good move getting a whippeddog straight.

G'day osic. That sounds like a pretty good start. The trembling hand is pretty common for the first time I think. Relax and enjoy the experience. Just be prepared for when you cut yourself because undoubtedly you will at some stage. It's all part of the learning curve. Good move getting a whippeddog straight.

+1

I'm still learning to straight shave and end up cutting myself pretty regularly. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I had a similar first shave, but cut up pretty badly on the second. I figure it is like everything else and you just need practice, practice practice. I haven't cut myself anything serious yet and when my face needs a break I just use a DE. Funny that now I can pretty much guarantee I won't cut myself with a DE and I am hoping that in short time I can say the save with straights.

Welcome to the club :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good start! The first shave is a bit scary but it's actually not that bad. If you don't feel confident, don't do it.

Slow is the best advice!

The first time I used a str8 my hand as shaking like mad too. It does get better the more you practice.

Good luck.

no blood, well done... my hands don't shake, but i do get a twitch in my corner lip muscles whenever the edge gets near it. It's quite amusing and I believe involuntary...

After about a month and a half of DE wetshaving, I've decided to move 'up' to to a straight. I placed an order at whippeddog.com ...
I didn't nick myself at all... ... I didn't die in a pool of my own blood.

I must not have put a sharp enough edge on it. Apologies... :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. By the 2nd pass my shakes had gone as I started to realise that its just like shaving with a large unguarded DE. I would have gone for an XTG pass but I didn't want to push it. After all theres no rush, I'm only 23 and have plenty of time to perfect my technique.

Good start! The first shave is a bit scary but it's actually not that bad. If you don't feel confident, don't do it.

Slow is the best advice!

I had a read of your journal the other day Luc, I decided to risk and not go with the mobile on the floor next to my feet trick. :lol:

I must not have put a sharp enough edge on it. Apologies... :lol:

Its more then sharp enough :thumbup: Thanks for a great razor!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. By the 2nd pass my shakes had gone as I started to realise that its just like shaving with a large unguarded DE. I would have gone for an XTG pass but I didn't want to push it. After all theres no rush, I'm only 23 and have plenty of time to perfect my technique.

I had a read of your journal the other day Luc, I decided to risk and not go with the mobile on the floor next to my feet trick. :lol:

Its more then sharp enough :thumbup: Thanks for a great razor!

Yeah, straights are less scary than they appear! :laugh:

Top Bottom