What's new

Is there a cheaper alternative to Drambuie?

So delicious, so essential to a Rusty Nail............So expensive. I hate to try a lesser product because the original is so good but when times are tough 19.99 for a small bottle can be a bit much.

If you like a Rusty Nail, you should try Lochan Ora instead of Drambuie.
Unfortunately that's not going to help you since it's harder to find and just as expensive. I don't think there is another alternative.

So delicious, so essential to a Rusty Nail............So expensive. I hate to try a lesser product because the original is so good but when times are tough 19.99 for a small bottle can be a bit much.

While it's not nearly the same, give a Godfather a try. It's a rusty nail, but substitute amaretto in place of the Drambuie.

AFAIK, the Rusty Nail was in fact invented (or at least heavily promoted) by the makers of Drambuie back in the 40's as a way sell more of the stuff. Unfortunately, there's no cheaper knockoff of Drambuie out there (unlike, say, the dozens of Kahlua imitators some of which are way better than the real thing, the Ily liqueur comes to mind) so you're kind of out of luck if you want to stay firmly traditional on this one. However, I've found that bourbon and Wild Turkey American Honey mixed 3-1 (don't know if this has a name yet) is a pretty nice variation on the theme.

The other classic stablemate of a Rusty Nail, of course, is the B&B (Brandy & Benedictine) which has been available in a handy premixed format for decades, cheaper than having to buy two bottles! :thumbup1:

I've been told these recipes are close but i never tried them........

1 bottle Blended Scotch
Peel of 1/2 a lemon
Peel of 1/2 an orange
1 cinnamon stick
10 cloves
A good bit of Angostura
5oz honey

Let it sit for a week or two, shake until it's all dissolved and strain.

---------------
# 1 (750 ml) bottle Blend scotch
# 1 1/2 cups mild honey
# 2 teaspoons chopped dried angelica root
# 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
# 1 slice lemon, zest of, 4 inches

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Glayva is a whiskey liquer but it runs almost the same as Drambuie.

My dad is a big Drambuie aficionado, and doesn't like Glayva nearly as much. (The old lady across the street used to give him a bottle at Xmas for shovelling her driveway &c ... he ended up just giving me a bottle of it because he didn't like it.)

I love Drambuie and a good Rusty Nail. My wife and I stumbled on a drink called Stock Exchange just a couple weeks ago that is equal parts Frangelico to Scotch. If you like a Rusty Nail, you might also enjoy that.

There are flavor concentrates you add to vodka, moonshine, etc. with sugar that are supposed to taste like drambuie. Never tried it, but they're about 5.00. Might be worth a shot.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Grandtully liqueur. It's a similar scotch based liqueur but is less expensive than Drambuie.

Top Bottom