What's new

Need a little help with a scotch

I will be heading up to my dad's place in early October and want to bring him a bottle of scotch. Here is the hard part....what to bring.

I only scotch i have seen him drink is The Glenlivet 12 y.o but I'm sure he has had many other ones.

Lets set the budget around 100 and keep it Speyside or highland keeping in mind he likes the 12yr old Glenlivet.

I buy my Scotch from Specs here in Houston.....so here are all my choices. If its not on the list i might have time for them to order some.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/...Liquors|255|SCOTCH+MALTS&body=/cgi-bin/search

Last edited:
Come on guys we can do better........ I have $100ish to spend.

Balvenie Double Wood is good however not special enough.... however i could get two bottles and still have money left over....:thumbup:

Johnny Walker Black.....no blends and want more than a $30 bottle.

I was thinking about the Oban but the 18yr over the 14yr.....its on the list of possible

Macallan Cask Strength......very good wisky, i already have a bottle and might bring it with me.

Most of the ones I drink range from $40-60 a bottle. I'm not to familiar with bottles around $100 and that is why I'm asking for help. I have a liquor store with over 350 different bottles of single malt close by.

What is that special bottle you would like as a gift.

Ok...

Balvenie Cask Strength or Port wood.

Glenfiddich 30 year old (if you can find it on sale it would only be slightly over)

I could recommend a number of peaty whiskys but you said Highlands!

Aberlour makes a couple of excellent varieties in the $60-$80 range

My older brother and a lot of my friends swear by Lagavulin but I guess most of the Islay whiskeys are considered nice :001_smile

Glenfarclas 21 yo is tasty. Rich, malty, notes of burnt sugar clove and orange.

Or, (sacriliege I know, but it has received the accolades to back it up!) try something a little different in a japanese Scotch - the yamazaki 12yo is highly awarded, rich and in a highland style. It also has the advantage of not having the same high price tag of similar quality scotches, simply because japanese scotch doesn't hold the same cache the scots command

I'm more of an Islay fanatic, but I have heard great things about Edradour. How about this- EDRADOUR MALT * 1999 UNCHILLFILTER

Definitely try and get something that is not chill filtered.

Come on guys we can do better........ I have $100ish to spend.

Balvenie Double Wood is good however not special enough.... however i could get two bottles and still have money left over....:thumbup:
If it's really about spending money rather than getting a good dram then why set the budget at around $100? At around $300, it gets interesting, while the $100 scotches are not such an improvement over their $60 counterparts, in most cases. Anyway, I would recommend Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch 21 Scotch as the one to buy if you want something in the $100 range.

If he likes Glenlivet see if you can find Glenlivet Archive 21 Year Old Scotch. There is also an 18 year old Glenlivet for a little less $.

...is my advice.

If your dad likes 12 year old Glenlivet, get him a bottle of it along with a couple of nice glasses and a water pitcher. Turn the rest of the $100 bucks into a nice dinner at a decent restaurant.

There are tons of whiskeys out there, and we all have our favorites. But, that probably means nothing to your dad. Following our advice here is going to be as useful as randomly grabbing a bottle off the shelf. There's just no telling if he'll like it anyway. I'm guessing he knows what he likes. That's what I'd get him.

If my dad were alive, I'd introduce him to my favorites at my house, and he could see if he agreed or not. Then, I'd have an idea of what I may want to give him for a present.

few reasons i don't want to buy the 12yr....he has at least 1 bottle in the cabinet and bet it might be 2. Also he would never spend 100+ on a bottle for himself. He would spend it on someone else but not on himself.
I want to get a bottle that we can drink together the times i can fly up there. I'm leaning towards the Glenlivet 21yr.

I am getting two glasses. I'm ordering two of the Glencairn glasses and will have them engraved with a something that is very meaningful between him and I. One glass will be mine and one glass will be his.

thanks for your help

Top Bottom