What's new

Logo experiment for my upcoming barber shop & apothecary. Is it too derivative?

I borrowed... heavily... from an established symbol. The funny thing is I didn't do it consciously at all. After looking at it for a while, it just kind of hit me. I won't say what I borrowed from. That will be a test of it's derivation. You tell me. Also tell me if you like it. It's 99% tentative. I'll probably go through 20 of these before I settle on one.

Thanks in advance!

As a Freemason I immediately know who you borrowed this from :) I don't think that there would be any issues as long as it was clearly marked for what it was and you make sure that the color combinations are not too close.

Alas I am not a lawyer so don't take my evaluation too literally

I wouldn't suggest using the square and compasses idea unless you have a connection to Freemasonry personally..

I love that you respect the symbol enough to want to use it though! :biggrin1:

I understand the fraternity and brotherhood associated with the freemasons, but too many don't. It is still considered a "secret society" by many and that might create a negative stigma for any business associated with the masons, legitimately or not. My 2 cents, or should I say YMMV, haha.

So the feeling I'm getting is that most of you do think it's too close a resemblance, right? What I have to wonder is if the "average Joe" on the street would make the association. What I love about the logo is the way that it subconsciously brings to mind ideas of fraternity, exclusivity, and tradition. Those are qualities and ideas that I want for my barber shop. I'm torn as to how I should proceed.

I like it.

The world as a whole exists on borrowed ideas. Culture, architecture, agriculture, industry. You're not in competition with them, you're not claiming to be associated with them, and you're not using it out of disrespect, mockery, or hatred. I see no problem with having a brand identity similar to another, so long as you're not doing it in any of the ways mentioned.

I'm not a lawyer (yet) but I don't believe the symbols are legally close enough to be trademark infringement. Legally I think you would be ok, but I still don't think the association is neccessarily a good one, not that I personally have ANYTHING against the masons.

It's a razor and sissors- how many ways can you lay them out.

proxy.php

I might get the idea that this shop is for masons only, or at least caters to them. It might lead me to not walk in.

Top Bottom