What's new

Is AoS Shaving Soap tallow based?

I stopped at the Art of Shaving store at the Beachwood Mall near Cleveland. While there, I asked the sales person whether their soaps are glycerin or tallow based. He told me that they didn't contain tallow. I was under the impression that these are a tallow based soap. Have they changed the formulation or was one of us misinformed?

The soaps are tallow based and always have been- The website is wrong and the average AOS employee has no idea what tallow is.

The soaps are tallow based and always have been- The website is wrong and the average AOS employee has no idea what tallow is.

+1

As I understand it, the average AOS employee is fairly clueless, and only knows what the corporate office tells them in regards to proper shaving, as such the best razor in the world in their eyes in the Gillette Fusion Proglide!! :thumbdown

Yep.

....and it is awesome. :001_wub:

Yep.

+1

As I understand it, the average AOS employee is fairly clueless, and only knows what the corporate office tells them in regards to proper shaving, as such the best razor in the world in their eyes in the Gillette Fusion Proglide!! :thumbdown

Yep.

As a side note, I was visiting relatives in Cleveland last year and stopped into the Saks at Beachwood Place. If you are interested in colognes, the woman at the fragrance counter was very generous with Creed samples.

I stopped at the Art of Shaving store at the Beachwood Mall near Cleveland. While there, I asked the sales person whether their soaps are glycerin or tallow based. He told me that they didn't contain tallow. I was under the impression that these are a tallow based soap. Have they changed the formulation or was one of us misinformed?

That's the AoS store I go to. The salesperson has no clue what they're talking about, they are tallow based.

I don't even ask many questions in there, I just read ingredient lists right off the boxes.

Just got my first AOS soap yesterday (it's my first hard shaving soap period). I have no idea if it's tallow based or not, but I got a great shave with it this morning!

Mike

That's the AoS store I go to. The salesperson has no clue what they're talking about, they are tallow based.

I don't even ask many questions in there, I just read ingredient lists right off the boxes.

AoS Saleslady: We sell really nice brushes for 50$

Me: Oh I actually already own one of your brushes

AoS Saleslady: Well how long have you had it?

Me: 6mos

AoS Saleslady: 6 whole months? Ew, you need to replace them every 3 months! They're like toothbrushes

Me: Why? I know folks that have had the same brush for over a decade

AoS Saleslady: That's unhealthy! There's so much bacteria built in to them after 3 months! Especially if you don't have a stand (Points to AoS stand).
:cursing:

AoS Saleslady: We sell really nice brushes for 50$

Me: Oh I actually already own one of your brushes

AoS Saleslady: Well how long have you had it?

Me: 6mos

AoS Saleslady: 6 whole months? Ew, you need to replace them every 3 months! They're like toothbrushes

Me: Why? I know folks that have had the same brush for over a decade

AoS Saleslady: That's unhealthy! There's so much bacteria built in to them after 3 months! Especially if you don't have a stand (Points to AoS stand).
:cursing:

There's something I just don't like about AoS. I think this is part of it. I don't want to give them my business, even though I really want to try the soap.

I also just got AOS unscented soap at Nordstrom's in Indianapolis, and tried it for the first time yesterday. I should probably wait to try it again before saying this, but it may be the best soap ever - slick and cushiony beyond any I have tried.

There's something I just don't like about AoS. I think this is part of it. I don't want to give them my business, even though I really want to try the soap.

Sounds like they're all about educating the customer, but they stop at a point that would get them to buy some other brand. They go for the hard sell, all the time and they're not above lying or stretching the truth. This is the same reason I hate going into Radio Shack nowadays. Let's put it this way: if brushes had to be replaced every 3 months, I don't think that people would pay $50 on up for them.

I tried lathering up my shaving soap with my toothbrush this morning, based on the advice of that woman you talked to at AoS, but it didn't seem to work.

What could possibly have gone wrong?:lol:

The reason tallow is not mentioned anywhere is because to the average person it sounds gross. If I were not a wetshaver, I would never touch a shaving soap with beef fat in it.

I don't dislike the AoS staff. Just the "professionals" selling it. Y'know wha'm sayin'?

The people who actually make the soap I imagine are much better. Then again, who knows?

Oh and the AoS lady also mentioned to use some feathers and merkurs, hands down, no doubt! Or if you cant stand a razor, try their electrics for a mere grand.

-End bash-

If you have an AMEX card with rewards, they offer a bunch of AoS soap as one of their rewards points purchases.

Top Bottom