What's new

Plisson brushes and direct orders from the manufacturer

The general take on Plisson is that they are relatively expensive compared to similar brushes from other manufacturers. I have one and agree with that sentiment but like everything else you buy what you like.

The general take on Plisson is that they are relatively expensive compared to similar brushes from other manufacturers. I have one and agree with that sentiment but like everything else you buy what you like.

Also, it is widely rumored that Vie-Long sources their badger hair from the same place as plisson. For 1/4 to 1/3 of the price it might be worth it to look at those as well.

A Plisson is a high quality brush, and many members here enjoy theirs. However, in my opinion the quality is not high enough to warrant the price. ...but I have several other expensive brushes, so I should stop calling the kettle black.

If you really want one, the best bet is to watch the B/S/T like a hawk for a few weeks. One is bound to pop up eventually, and when it does you can snag it for a sweet discount! That way even if you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it for exactly what you bought it for.

EDIT: Found a review for the brush you're interested in:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=P&t=25462
Joel wasn't exactly kind, especially about the build quality.

Last edited:
True story:

A couple of years ago, I was in Paris on business and was totally set to drop a bunch of cash on a nice Plisson...

Unfortunately, when I saw them in person/handled them, I just couldn't do it as (to me) they didn't seem worth the price - at any grade of hair in any size.

As for the brush you linked to, the handle, while pretty, is lightweight acrylic and I didn't think it had a lot of substance. Also, 55 Euros (over $70, not counting shipping and customs) is pretty expensive for a pure badger brush IMHO.

Price is not a concern. But it appears to be a good brush and I will take the plunge with buying from the manufacturer direct. Thanks

Rob I fought it for almost 3 years...then joined this forum last year...and resistance was futile...the single brush I used for years wasn't good enough...and god knows I have enough now to equip a small army! At least the RAD is over and done with...almost...

Rob I fought it for almost 3 years...then joined this forum last year...and resistance was futile...the single brush I used for years wasn't good enough...and god knows I have enough now to equip a small army! At least the RAD is over and done with...almost...

:lol: If I didn't have much bigger fish to fry (Custom Mitchell Leather Briefcase) I could buy about four of these. :lol: For now the briefcase has priority. Although after that is out of the way I could be looking for a Plisson! :lol:

Let me know when you start wavering Rob...I'll start posting pictures of my latest...cough cough...acquisitions.

A Plisson is a high quality brush, and many members here enjoy theirs. However, in my opinion the quality is not high enough to warrant the price. ...but I have several other expensive brushes, so I should stop calling the kettle black.

:lol::lol::lol:

-Andy

Top Bottom