What's new

Newbie difficulties and hello!

Hi all!
First off just want to say what a great community and resource you've all built!

I'm moving from formerly only shaving electric, and hating every shave.

My newbie set-up is as follows.
Gilette Mach 3
No name cheapo badger brush
Kiss my face lavender shave cream
(I know most would recommend DE, but I'd prefer to start with cartridge for my first foray into razor shaving.)

I use Kyle's prep before each shave, always following a hot shower.
I mix the lather in a bowl after soaking the brush in hot water during the shower.
Post shave I rinse with cold water, and apply Nivea sensitive skin balm.

I've now shaved 3 times with this set-up, and unfortunately each shave has been less than enjoyable. =\

The main issue I've had each time, is that on any but the thinnest patches of hair, the razor catches rather than cuts. This is especially an issue around my upper lip and chin. Even with the brand new cartridge this issue was present, so I don't believe it's an issue of sharpness.

What do you guys think I should do to remedy this? :confused1
Is it a razor issue?
Lather issue?

Thanks in advance for any help! =)

Is this just now happening with this shave cream lathered with the brush, or was it happening before? Are you going with the grain?

Welcome to B&B!!

Since your not using a DE, technique should not be too much of a problem. I suggest adding more water to your lather - sounds like it's on the dry side. Try a wetter lather and let us know how it went.

I happened with The Real Shaving Co. cream as well.
Perhaps the dryness of the lather is the culprit, I'll try more water next time and report back with results!
What is a good way to judge if the lather is wet enough?

Thanks for the tips so far. =)

I found that purchasing a semi-decent brush made the world of difference to my later creating skills! Still got a way to go though I think

Welcome to B&B! I agree with the others on the lather being to dry...let us know how it goes with a little more water.

Welcome to the B&B. It will take a little time and effort to master wet shaving skills but, in time, it will come to you. Holding the razor and you lather can both contribute to your issue but I suspect it's a combination of both. Wet your beard with a hot, wet towel for a minute or two before you start your shave and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I happened with The Real Shaving Co. cream as well.
Perhaps the dryness of the lather is the culprit, I'll try more water next time and report back with results!
What is a good way to judge if the lather is wet enough?

Thanks for the tips so far. =)
Great advice thus far... I would also suggest that, although the way the lather looks is a great metric, the way it feels is even more important.

Whip yourself up some lather. When you think it is ready, get your hands dirty!

I will get some on the fingers of my left and and and rub my thumb in circles on index/middle finger to see how smooth it does or does not feel. Add more water, do it again. And again, etc. until you know you have too much water and also how these varying stages feel on your fingers which will equate to your face. Good practice!

You need to change something. Experiment. Start with different lather. Try Barbasol. If that doesn't help, change something else or come back here.

Not very precise, but I keep adding little bits of water until the cream sort of just explodes out of the mug. It's not too thin and not too thick.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom