What's new

Newbie AS Question

Any good recommendations for an unscented splash? I tend to get a little irritation after shaving (technique is improving), and I wonder whether a splash will help.

I'm trying to decide whether a splash will work for me, but I have sensitive skin, so I'd rather start without a scent to see if a splash does more harm than good for me.

Such a product may not exist. Maybe a lightly scented splash? Help is appreciated.

P.S. Drug store recommendations, if any, would be appreciated here b/c SWMBO is beginning to tire of the somewhat obscene shipping charges I've incurred thus far for my harder to find products. I've tried to convince her that I simply need to buy more products at once in order to spread the shipping charges out, but this logic has not carried the day thus far. Amazing how I can often win arguments with ease in the courtroom, but I walk within the four walls of my home and my professional training has little, if any, influence.

Last edited:
The thing that immediately came to mind for you was good old, generic Witch Hazel. Although it will smell upon application, by the time it dries it is completely scent-free. It's a great astringent, and some guys here use it as their only aftershave.

The best thing is that it's widely available (try your local Family Dollar or WalMart); it's also ridiculously cheap (under $2 for a quart bottle) and very effective. No explanations to SWMBO necessary - heck, you might even already have some in your home.

There are more expensive versions out there (T. N. Dickinson's and Thayer's come to mind), but even the most costly versions won't set you back more than $10 for a big bottle. Enjoy, this is about as cheap as it gets when it comes to shave gear!

I doubt you can find it in a drugstore, but have you considered an alum block? Excellent astringent, great for irritation, very cheap, and totally scentless.

I haven't found a completely scentless splash. Witch hazel is a good recommendation. The least-scented drugstore splash is probably Skin Bracer. It's got menthol it in though, which may or may not agree with you.

+1 for the Witch Hazel reccomendation, pretty much anywhere stocks it. If you go searching locally for an alum block be sure to check out the indian grocery stores; I've had luck there before.

Another vote for alum block or a low alcohol witch hazel. I've used both and either will be good for you.

Thanks, gents. I was sort of looking in that direction.

Now . . . for the future . . . anything a little more interesting that would fit the bill?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thayers unscented also comes to mind, one of the only products that is unscented.

Witch Hazel is perfectly suitable for the task. If you want something else, I would recommend Lucido, the Japanese Aftershave

Thanks, gents. I was sort of looking in that direction.

Now . . . for the future . . . anything a little more interesting that would fit the bill?

+ whatever for witch hazel, as well. Look at Walgreens/Target/Walmart, by the rubbing alcohol. I use the store brand ("Top Care") and like it verrah much. As for an alum block, you might want to try the more "interesting" grocery stores in your area. If they have a natural personal care products section, they may have a crystal deodorant... Look for one that lists as potassium alum if possible, but any kind will do in a pinch.

As for future suggestions, the sky is the limit. If you're looking for inexpensive and well reputed, you can always start with the Pinaud/Clubman line, most of which is available at http://www.clubmanonline.com/afshloco.html If you go with some samples, you owe it to yourself to at least try the Lilac Vegetal. You might love it, you might hate it, but it is one of those things that you can't even begin to guess until you wear it. I also like the Virgin Island Bay Rum, which is heavily cinnamon and clove, as well as the Classic Vanilla (which doesn't smell like vanilla, believe it or not).

I also really like Alt-Innsbruck, but it's not on the inexpensive side. If you're into menthol, Osage Rub is a name to watch for. The MAsters line, which is also on teh inexpensive yet well-reputed side, is available at Appleton Barber Supply. $0.90 for 1-oz bottles of their different varieties, can hardly be beat.

Now, if you want to look at aftershave balms, head to the mall. IF you have a L'Occitane in yours, I really like the L'Occitan balm. Bath and Body Works may carry C. O. Bigelow balms as well, of which I have the Black and Green.

That should get you started, as well as give you some local sources to investigate.

Greetings from Rockford!

Top Bottom