W&B, Joesph Elliot & more Sheffield makers made some razors from "India Steel"
I've read some posts that it was a simple marketing hype.
But the evidence says no.
India steel or Wootz steel that is the proper name has an ancient history, much like the original Damascus steel.
Here is a full report:
And for the lazy ones:
And even shorter:
- Wootz was a kick-butt steel.
- The recipe got lost during the 1700's.
- A Russian guy rediscovered it in the early 1800's.
- W&B et. al got hold of the recipe & patented it & used it in some razors.
- Those of us who have tried "India Steel" knows that is really is kick-butt great!