What's new

Waldorf Barbershop July Visit – Dublin

Went here in the middle of July and just wanted to say how wonderful it was stepping from the street level, down a dozen or steps and into the best barbershop I have ever had the pleasure to visit.

I had a hot towel shave by a lady named Ger, who began by adjusting the head support bracket on the chair so I could fully lean my head back in comfort and checking the grain direction of my beard & putting a steaming towel on my face once it had cooled slightly so it didn’t burn me. She went through the side door “out the back” and came back a couple of minutes later with a straight razor (apologies I don’t know what make it was) and then with the steaming towel still on my face I heard the tap running.

The towel was removed and she squeezed two blobs of Palmolive “green tube” Shaving Cream onto my chin & cheek then shook the badger brush out slightly and proceeded to lather up on my face and neck for a couple of minutes using a combination of circular & side to side movements. The lather felt luke warm, but not hot on my face.

She shaved me with short strokes and with varying angles and wiped the blade on something that was out of sight after each stroke. Some difficult areas were lathered up again with the left over lather still in the brush and she continued to shave the areas in the same manner as above.

She walked away and wrapped another hot towel around my face/neck and disappeared for another couple of minutes. The hot towel which had cooled was now removed and a cold towel (not ice cold, but more fridge cold) was place over my face & neck in the same manner. She then applied an aftershave cream that had a mild fragrance. The was rubbed into the face and neck area that was shaved then she proceeded to give me a short face massage, which felt like it rejuvenated my whole face. Her hands were wonderful!

All of this was done with a deftness, anchoring one finger on my nose while she shaved my top lip. Noticing when some lather had gone into my nostrils she pinched my nose and wiped it away. Her hands were rough with my face and smooth at the right times, it was superb.

She then (with my head now in the upright position) used the straight razor to tidy up my sideburns and neck area.

I asked Ger about Liam and Linda (the owners) who she assured me are usually working in the barbershop, but at the time of my visit were on holiday.

Ger, I am eternally grateful and can honestly say it was the best shave and a wonderfully relaxing experience, so relaxing that I almost fell asleep! Not bad for 32Euros! Highly recommended if anyone is going to visit Dublin.

:thumbup: oooo I love the Waldorf !!!
That's where I did my barbering basics course! The guys down there are great and it's like stepping back in time. It's also where I shot the Barbershop Beauty photographs that I posted on here. Ger's a lovely lady. I'm glad you had a great experience!

Great description of what was obviously a great experience.

Another item to add to the bucket list - Get a shave at the Waldorf Barbershop, Dublin

E

Ed Crane

Yes, I know Ger, and she is one in a million. She gives an excellent shave. Very relaxing, very thorough.

You can follow the exploits of the Waldorf barbershop on their facebook page here.

:thumbup:

Top Bottom