What's new

Do rust stains seed more rust?

I was wondering, gents, if the rust stains that won't come off of my razors will seed more rust or accelerate rusting on razor blades, etc.

I'm worried that the little bit of rust that's there might catalyze the oxidation reaction on the ferric content of my blades in the damp, humid environment of the bathroom. Does anyone have insight into this?

Thanks!

Rust or corrosion does indeed accelerate further corrosion or at least, that's what the Air Force annual training videos tell us. However, this is speaking in terms of the same parent or base metal rather than two separate metals that happen to be in contact (ie. blade vs. razor). I would have to imagine that the there are far more variables involved in equating that to a proven fact.

In my case, even the best of blades (for me) are worthless after 10 shaves. 10 shaves or less is not much time for exposure to such a problem so I would not think that it would be an issue but, that's just my opinion based on my own logic.

Rust or corrosion does indeed accelerate further corrosion or at least, that's what the Air Force annual training videos tell us. However, this is speaking in terms of the same parent or base metal rather than two separate metals that happen to be in contact (ie. blade vs. razor). I would have to imagine that the there are far more variables involved in equating that to a proven fact.

In my case, even the best of blades (for me) are worthless after 10 shaves. 10 shaves or less is not much time for exposure to such a problem so I would not think that it would be an issue but, that's just my opinion based on my own logic.

Good point sir. The problem as I see it is leaving the blades enclosed without the Razor properly drying first. I had this problem with my weber, but fortunately it was minor rust and easy to remove, and I learned my lesson real fast. And thank you for serving in our armed forces.

Top Bottom