What's new

"Manly" Magazine

Does anyone have insights as to a good magazine that writes/showcases traditional masculine interests?

I have read GQ over the years and find it too foo-foo. Details and FHM... too frat-boy. Old Playboys are worthy...but my wife and kids would think I am a perv.:lol:

Ideally, I would like to find a magazine that focuses on traditional/old-school architecture, food/drink, design, fashion, lifestyle, technology and cars.

Any suggestions?

Men's Health is my favorite of all the men-oriented magazines and it covers all the areas you listed, except perhaps architecture, in a way that is less pretentious than GQ/Esquire and more mature than FHM.

It's not a magazine, but you should look around for a copy of the 1949 edition of Esquire's Handbook for Hosts. There are usually a few on eBay and they turn up at other used book sources out there.

It doesn't cover everything you ask for, but it's a hoot. The drink recipes are excellent - I've used a number of the punches at parties and they always go over well. I've given copies of this to others and everyone just loves it. Pick up a copy, you won't regret it.

There is no such thing. Magazines are inheirently a femine contrived info source.

All matters manly are best covered here at B&B.

It nearly seems this way. I used to enjoy reading the likes of GQ and Details magazines. Now, GQ is more akin to pink seer sucker suits and Details seems like a frat boy rag.

Although Men's Health is a good read, I already know I have to drink 12 litres of water a day, eat only fruit and vegetables and run 50 miles a day. :001_rolle

There is no such thing. Magazines are inheirently a femine contrived info source.

All matters manly are best covered here at B&B.

It's not a magazine, but you should look around for a copy of the 1949 edition of Esquire's Handbook for Hosts. There are usually a few on eBay and they turn up at other used book sources out there.

It doesn't cover everything you ask for, but it's a hoot. The drink recipes are excellent - I've used a number of the punches at parties and they always go over well. I've given copies of this to others and everyone just loves it. Pick up a copy, you won't regret it.

Thanks! I will definitely read.

Legion

Staff member
Does anyone have insights as to a good magazine that writes/showcases traditional masculine interests?

I have read GQ over the years and find it too foo-foo. Details and FHM... too frat-boy. Old Playboys are worthy...but my wife and kids would think I am a perv.:lol:

Ideally, I would like to find a magazine that focuses on traditional/old-school architecture, food/drink, design, fashion, lifestyle, technology and cars.

Any suggestions?

I still like the old Playboy. I think you can more legitimately use the "I just read it for the articles" excuse these days. If you just wanted to look at naked ladies you can do it on the internet for free. :lol:

But it is a shame it has that rep. It has good writing and reviews, etc. I always wished they made a version of playboy which was more like the ones in the 60's, less nudie pictures and more serious articles and features. I like a pretty girl as much as the next guy but you do feel a bit like a perv buying it from the news agent each month.

I collect vintage playboy magazines and memorabilia from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. They definitely had a different vibe back then. Much more sophisticated and a lot less "fratboy". They need to stop trying to compete with the FHM's and go back to old school "Gent about town."

I was going to post a picture of "Escape to Adventure" magazine I have, when I figured I'd look online to see if there were pix I could hot link to, and found a great blog dedicated to Men's Pulp mags of the 50's-70's

Not exactly safe for work

Men's Adventure Magazines

If I need contemporary info, I look to the web. I really don't think there is a market for the classic men's type of magazine you are looking for. You might want to stop by a big book seller and browse the racks. Pick up a magazine of watches one month, next month Architecture Today, Robb Report, etc.

If you really want a subscription, New Yorker magazine is worth reading, and not just for the cartoons.

It nearly seems this way. I used to enjoy reading the likes of GQ and Details magazines. Now, GQ is more akin to pink seer sucker suits and Details seems like a frat boy rag.

Although Men's Health is a good read, I already know I have to drink 12 litres of water a day, eat only fruit and vegetables and run 50 miles a day. :001_rolle

GQ is supper boring, I'm so pissed that they got rid of men.style.com in favor of a crossbranding with GQ ugggg.

I know the editor of a magazine in NYC called Details, I would not describe it as a frat boy rag.... are there multiple magazines with that name?

How about Cigar Aficionado? Even if you don't smoke cigars, it's mostly just men oriented articles with a trend towards the upscale.

I got a hold of a magazine the other day called "player" that billed itself as manly, but it was actually just a nice all around tech/clothes/entertainment magazine. It did lean slightly FHM though.

here's the website for that one- http://www.cardozaplayer.com/

I'm of mixed minds about it, but you can try Monocle.

EIC Tyler Brule is the former wunderkind behind Wallpaper and son of NHL great Paul Brule to boot--how's that for cultured yet manly? The editorial can feel kind of one note (like Wallpaper), but it takes brass to launch a monthly in the digital age. I'm down with that.

Give it a whirl. Maybe just one.

Men's Journal. I have not visited their web site. The print version is worth looking at. The web site is www.mensjournal.com.

I forgot about this one. I did get a free subscription to Mens Journal. There is some great stuff in it. And it is a little more of an adult magazine, compared to Mens Health. I prefer Mens Health though.

Top Bottom