What's new

Uneven Bevel question

I know i am gumming up the honing forum here but i'm new to all this and i have a lot of questions. I have a 9/16 wade and butcher just for honing. Yesterday i started working on it. I started with a 1000 Norton for the bevel. After working on this for a few minutes, stopping to check if it would shave my arm hair, i noticed from the middle to the heel it would shave but from the toe to the middle it wouldn't. I inspected the blade and discovered it has uneven wear on the spine, which in turn gave me an uneven bevel. I did some research on SRP and found a post were one of the guys had used a piece of tape from the middle to the heel. Tried that and did a 1000 bevel setter then did a Lynn Abrahms pyramid honing with the 4k/8k and coti, pasted strop and leather. Now it will shave all around except for the middle. Is there anyway to straighting this out?

Does this razor have a hollow spine AKA bowed back? I ask because tis is what keeps me from honing my W&B with a bowed back. Honing the razor with the curve of the blade and back seems like it would be a night mare. I have read you'll have to keep a perfect motion along the curve to hone, so to make a bevel would be even harder. This may or may not apply to your razor. I would like to hear more on the issue, nevertheless.

Brett

Top Bottom