What's new

My 3rd (slanted) Razor

Back in May, I started out with a Parker 89R. I think I may have had a bad razor because after 1 month the threads detached from the head of the razor.

I replaced it with a Merkur 34c. I was very pleased and I preferred the difference in design. I like the simplicity in blade changes, not that the parker was rocket science.

But I have a weird, sparse, wiry, fast growing beard and the traditional blades were not cutting as well as I would expect... so I ordered a slant (37c). I was a little hesitant with pictures of blood and road rash in my head. The first shave was ideal. Less nicks than the 34c, a little irritation where I got a bit to aggressive the day before with an old blade.

I think I have my perfect combo and hope to fight of RAD. I have the 34c for my head and the slant for my face. So far the Astra SP is the ticket but I have some Feathers and Yellow 7 o'clocks to try.

Sorry for the babble, feeling good on getting my winning combo quicker than I thought I would. Now I just have to fight the urge to the straight.

Back in May, I started out with a Parker 89R. I think I may have had a bad razor because after 1 month the threads detached from the head of the razor.

I replaced it with a Merkur 34c. I was very pleased and I preferred the difference in design. I like the simplicity in blade changes, not that the parker was rocket science.

But I have a weird, sparse, wiry, fast growing beard and the traditional blades were not cutting as well as I would expect... so I ordered a slant (37c). I was a little hesitant with pictures of blood and road rash in my head. The first shave was ideal. Less nicks than the 34c, a little irritation where I got a bit to aggressive the day before with an old blade.

I think I have my perfect combo and hope to fight of RAD. I have the 34c for my head and the slant for my face. So far the Astra SP is the ticket but I have some Feathers and Yellow 7 o'clocks to try.

Sorry for the babble, feeling good on getting my winning combo quicker than I thought I would. Now I just have to fight the urge to the straight.

I'm slowly getting better with my vintage Merkur slant. Still doesn't give me the nice shaves my Gillette Super Adjustable does.

Before you go to straights, you might want to try one of the single edge razors like GEM or EverReady.

As for double edge blades, I, and many many others, highly recommend the Israeli Personna blades. Very sharp and super smooth. I quickly replaced my Astra blades with the IPs once I tried the IPs.

I've seen photos of the slant razor; however, I don't recall seeing a close-up photo with the actual position & exposure of the blade. Could someone kindly direct to a posting of such? Thanks in advance.

cOry....thanks ....this is an informative site and having hard-core veterans such as yourself assisting with the navigation is a good thing.

I know how you feel patrick, when i got my 39c i knew i had found the DE for me. it was not long after that i started to sniff around the straights. long story short i couldn't imagine a better DE for backing up my straight. Good luck with the RAD.

Happy to see another slant fan. If you really want a close shave try a feather. Just be careful it can bite you very easily. I settled for Gillette super thin blades in mine. Enjoy some great shaves from a great razor :biggrin1:

Happy to see another slant fan. If you really want a close shave try a feather. Just be careful it can bite you very easily. I settled for Gillette super thin blades in mine. Enjoy some great shaves from a great razor :biggrin1:

I was living on the edgy this morning and thought I would try the Slant/Feather combo. I got a mostly BBS but I was a little cautious around my jawline since I have a full morning of appointments. The shave was great but I did end up with quite a few weepers under my chin (definitely operator error). I will have to revisit it over the weekend.

I was living on the edgy this morning and thought I would try the Slant/Feather combo. I got a mostly BBS but I was a little cautious around my jawline since I have a full morning of appointments. The shave was great but I did end up with quite a few weepers under my chin (definitely operator error). I will have to revisit it over the weekend.

When I use the slant/feather combo I have to change up my approach a bit because it's such a sharp blade in an aggressive razor. But it give's me some of the closest shaves. I only visit this combo every so often. It helps review my technique because of such a low margin for error. Everything has to slow down a bit for me and I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing. And I still manage to cut myself a least once :sad:

Oh and by the way welcome to B&B

Joe

I have used my vintage slant for about five shaves now and here some random obversations:

1. The blade angle is significantly more downward pointing than my Gillettes and Jagger DL. This means the handle must be held much closer to the face to compensate. Find the angle by starting with handle parallel to shaving surface then moving up to the point where you hear/feel it cutting.

When worked at the correct angle it cuts aggressively and smoothly.

2. The slant seems to dull the blade much faster than my other razors. (SS, Slim Adjustable, Jagger DL) This could be because I was originally using more than the ideal angle per above. I get three with the Slant and 4-5 with the others. I am shaving with platinum feathers, btw.

3. Amazingly, I have had ZERO nicks with this supposed blood thirsty razor. I have nicked myself with all my other razors at one time or another. Perhaps it is because I am more careful with but I also think it is because the slant is very precise when used at the proper angle. When I noticed the blade angle difference and compensated for it my shaving angle I was more aggressive in my shaving.

4. Got a nice BBS this morning with three passes. WTG, ATG, XTG plus touch up under my damn jaw bone.

-=mojo

Top Bottom