What's new

Ultra Soft Tips yet relatively firm - Which brush?

Hi Gents! I have to slap myself and kick myself very, very hard. I just missed the chance to purchase the New Forest 2201 cuz I was really busy with my internship. From all the posts I've been reading it sounded like the perfect brush for me: ultra soft tips, but firm enough for a good face lather.

Alas its been sold out, and though I'm looking at the Silvertip that Fido is coming up with, I'd like to see what else to consider.

I currently use an Omega 10029 boar. Specs on those are about 21-22mm knot and a 50mm loft. It has worked out to be a good sweet spot in terms of size for me. Had one of the larger professional Omega boars that were about 25+mm in knot size with a 60mm loft - much too big and cumbersome for me to maneuver.

I've broken in the Omega 10029 quite a bit, using hair dryer each night after I shave. Quite a number of split ends at the tips but its still much to scritchy and stiff for my sensitive skin.

When I go for a second pass, circular brush strokes with this brush really irritates my skin. Even in the first pass, with gobs of lather its much too prickly and aggravates my skin. Is there such a thing as brush burn?

Hence I'm looking for the softest tips possible without an excessively floppy brush. I bowl lather at the start then face lather the rest of the way. I apply lather in circular motions rather than using paint brush strokes. I'm still a newbie so experimenting with both soaps and creams.

My budget is $100 tops (could go a little more if its worth it hehe) A cheaper brush certainly doesn't hurt if its as good as $100 brushes :biggrin1:

After much reading here, I'm looking at:

- Shavemac 177 in 21mm
- Savile Row - 3120/3320 - but they don't ship outside of the US!!! =(
- Kent BK4 (some say its floppy, some say its a good compromise, I'm lost!)
- Simpsons Duke 2/Persian Jar 2 in Best
- Simpsons Tulip 2 in 2 band (more than what I wanna spend but its so gorgeous! love the chunky handle!)
- Custom brush with a TGN Finest/Silvertip knot

Whaddya say guys?

I have a Duke2 in Best which is a wonderful brush and although I wouldn't describe the tips as luxuriously soft, they are perfect for face lathering and with the relatively short loft and bulb shape the brush is a real "soap-killer". You might also like to check out the Rooney offerings as well- maybe a 1/1 would fit your needs too.

I notice you mention Shavemac in your wish list : I own a 177 23 mm silver tip and a custom 21 mm D01 two band. I like very much these brushes and would advice you to try this brand especially considering the value in regard to the price.

From my limited practice, I think the two band hair though soft is also very scritchy and might hurt your sensitive skin especially if the the brush is dense.

In the price range you mention, I would advise a 21 mm in finest badger grade asking for a reduced loft length to increase the brush backbone. Custom appropriately the handle and you will pay less than 100$.
Many reports that the Shavemac finest grade is more interesting than the silver tip for face lathering and soap as it has more backbone though being almost as soft.

Last edited:
It's oft rumored that Savile Row brushes are made by Shavemac; I have a Savile Row 3722, and can attest to its great backbone yet luxuriously soft tips. So based on that, I'd say Shavemac (given your outside-US shipping needs).

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

When I first started down the which brush to buy route, the Rooney 1/1 in Silvertip was recommended quite a fair bit as a good option. However I've read reports that Rooney's brushes on the whole are quite scritchy even the Silvertips so this kinda put me off them quite a bit.

I've been reading a lot about Shavemac, and the customizable options are very appealing. I've been reading many favourable comments about the Finest grade and it seems like quite the nice option. If its just as soft as the Silvertip with a little more spring I certainly wouldn't mind.

Just one question about 'backbone' and 'spring' or whichever term is suitable. How do bagers with very firm backbones compare to boars?

I wouldn't want my upcoming brush to be as springy as a boar. If the firmness was dialed down compared to my boar by a few notches that would be nice.

Darn it if there was only an empirical way to assess this stuff!

I'd look for a Rooney heritage with the original bristle - perhaps an emillion or Victorian. You'd probably be looking at closer to 150 on the used market but they are amazing brushes that have the quality of backbone and silky softness.

You list some great brushes. My vote goes for a custom. Mr. Rudy Vey, who is a memeber on here, will hook you up with a fantastic brush & leave you with a healthy sum for your pocket. He is very knowledgeable about brushes & a pleasure to do business with.

+1 for Rudy Vey, he can guide you to a knot that meets your description plus any kind of handle you'd like (he made me a beautifully-lathed beehive).

Hi Gents! I have to slap myself and kick myself very, very hard. I just missed the chance to purchase the New Forest 2201 cuz I was really busy with my internship. From all the posts I've been reading it sounded like the perfect brush for me: ultra soft tips, but firm enough for a good face lather.

Alas its been sold out, and though I'm looking at the Silvertip that Fido is coming up with, I'd like to see what else to consider.

The brush recommendations are fine, but I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over the NF2201. It is a very nice brush, and a good face latherer, but I wouldnt call its tips "ultra soft." No disrespect to Fido, of course; his brush was and is a great value. But a top Rooney or Simpson would have softer tips and just as much backbone. And I think in either line you can find what you want for less than $100.

I'd look for a Rooney heritage with the original bristle - perhaps an emillion or Victorian. You'd probably be looking at closer to 150 on the used market but they are amazing brushes that have the quality of backbone and silky softness.

+1. The Rooney Heritage brushes have a wonderful combination of backbone and soft tips.

I would email Charles at QED about shipping. I am pretty sure he will ship any where you want. Given your criteria a Savile Row is the best brush IMO.

I vote a custom Shavemac D01 - amazingly soft tips, but not as much backbone or scubbyness as something like Rooney Finest.

My second recommendation would be for a Simpsons Tulip 2 in Two-band. Great brush, and the most comfortable handle I've ever used.

I would NOT recommend a Rooney Heritage. :thumbdown
I had a Stubby 2 and it wasn't dense at all, had too tall of a loft, and was very floppy.

Top Bottom