What's new

Aristocratic Scents

I have heard many scents referred to as being "aristocraticic". This description evokes many different and conflicting messages to me. Does it mean the scent is fit for a rich snob, or does it mean that the scent is fit for those of nobility? These are the questions I ask when a scent is described this way. So I was wondering, what does this description mean to you? What scents would you describe in this way?

I have heard many scents referred to as being "aristocraticic". This description evokes many different and conflicting messages to me. Does it mean the scent is fit for a rich snob, or does it mean that the scent is fit for those of nobility? These are the questions I ask when a scent is described this way. So I was wondering, what does this description mean to you? What scents would you describe in this way?

Well, in the realm of scent "rich snob" & "those of the nobility" are kind of interchangeable terms. At least, it seems that way to me.

Blenheim Bouquet is often described in terms of power, money & arrogance. Other scents are described as being more appropriate for a formal evening out. Creed's Windsor strikes me this way; I suppose it too could be construed as an "aristocratic" scent for just this reason. (Full disclosure: I still wear it w/jeans & a tshirt, formality notwithstanding.)

The bottom line? Like everything else with scent, all of these terms are ultimately highly subjective interpretations of a highly subjective sense. You really need to smell the fragrance in question & decide for yourself. So take any scent review with a huge grain of salt.

I should have articulated better. By "rich snob" I mean arrogant and stuffy whereas by "nobility" I mean stately and elegant. And by no means do I take such a subjective topic literally, I was just wondering what people think of when the term aristocratic come into play. I just want to find which scent would best go with my monocle and top hat :biggrin1:.

I, for one, find it quite funny to describe a scent as aristocratic...what exactly does aristocracy smell like?

Nobles in Great Britain during the Victorian Era?
Fine Gentlemen in the South during the Antebellum Era
Greek nobles in Ancient Greece?

If its the third choice...I'm guessing that would be a cologne I wouldn't buy :lol:

Well, there is no nobility in America, so the mistake is made of making the rich and arrogant into nobility. But that mistake is probably as old as the republic, and not much can be done about it at this point.

Now, if you REALLY study the true nobility, you will find them hardly better than trash, but somehow they manage to keep up appearances and people buy it (for centuries at a time).

Well, I dunno about you but the words "arrogant" & "stuffy" connote negativity to me. So if I scent struck me as being either one of those, I probably wouldn't buy it.

FWIW, I love BB. But I wouldn't use either of the words above to describe it.

Well, I dunno about you but the words "arrogant" & "stuffy" connote negativity to me. So if I scent struck me as being either one of those, I probably wouldn't buy it.

FWIW, I love BB. But I wouldn't use either of the words above to describe it.

I think those who describe it as smelling aristocratic are trying to find a way to denote its alleged connections to Blenheim Palace, seat of the Churchill family...connections which, as I've posted before...are somewhat debatable.

:thumbup: This is what I wanted to know. I was hoping you guy would explain how you feel about the term. I see it used so often yet I don't know how the majority felt about it. Interesting how we describe scents sometimes.

When I hear "aristocratic" I think primarily of Creed Windsor.

It is the most aloof scent I've ever run into. I do like it, and it is inordinately well made and high quality.
It is not a warm scent, but it is not unpleasant.
It is not "friendly," but it is not offish either.
I think that kind of vibe is what many mean if they reference a frag as "aristocratic." A nice smelling scent that is distinctly not a "guy on the prowl to meet babes" kind of scent. (But some of these scents may appeal to women nonetheless).

I eagerly await the reviews from the many here in on the flacon splits.

I gather Blenheim Bouquet has a bit of that same vibe. That one frustrates me. I've tried it twice and it doesn't seem to last 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I'd also describe Blenheim Bouquet as Aristocratic.

Another scent that I've described repeatedly as being one I imagine a wealthy well bred individual wearing is Gentleman's Best Signature Series.

When I think Aristocratic scents I don't think Rich snob, but I do picture wealth, dignity, good form, gentleman etc. etc.

equipage and habit rouge are also commonly mentioned "aristo" scents. i like esencia loewe myself for that vibe. acqua di parma for an italian aristo.

When I think Aristocratic scents I don't think Rich snob, but I do picture wealth, dignity, good form, gentleman etc. etc.

Yes, this^^^^.

I don't think when most people use the term the "aristocratic" to describe a scent that they mean it in an arrogant, haughty or mean spirited way.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
While Aristocratic scents are nice, I much prefer scents that are Dilligent.
Sometimes on a weekend I might go with a scent that is Uninformed or even Eager, but I try to stay away from scents that are Gratuitous or Selfish.
:blink: :confused1

The dialectic of fragrance tells us that the aristocratic scents have already been displaced by more bourgeois colognes. (Visit the fragrance counter at any department store. You'll see.) Inexorably, however, these too will be cast aside by a Brut Revolution -- which is already available to the masses -- in favor of more proletarian fragrances.

Or something like that.

aristocracy as a term always begs the question, which culture's aristocracy are you referring to? if it's British, then Floris, Penhaligon's, and earlier Creeds cater to that brand of upper crust. if it's French, then there's approximately 10 million perfumes from 10 million houses that are arguably the very definition of aristocracy.

in America, it's Heiress by Paris Hilton. and not much else.

Creed Windsor
Creed Vintage Tabarome
Sisley Eau De Campagne
Maitres Tailleurs L'eau Du Tailleur
Maitre Parfumeuer et Gantier Santal Noble

^Those are my top 5 Aristocratic scents. All 5 reek of western european nobility and have a detached, aloof, arrogantly dignified core to them. Eau De Campagne is the most carefree of them, very fresh and outdoorsy, yet still so aristocratic and classy. Santal Noble is the most romantic and warm of them, but still has buckets of 19th century aristocratic air to it. Maitres Tailleurs is simply the most conservative and upper class fresh scent ever created. Too conservative for many, it's very floral ,and extrmely dry and masculine. Very unique. Literally smells like what the most expensive tailor's shop in europe would smell like. And Windsor and Vintage Tabarome need no explanation.

Others to consider:

Geo F. Trumper Wellington
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Maitre Parfumeuer et Gantier Pour Le jeune
Acqua Di Parma Colonia

I tend to think it boils down to ones ability to wear a scent that is rare.
Now, all rare scents are not good scents. But rare good scents tend to be, expensive.
Hence the exclusive factor. Only one of good breeding would know what a good scent is, and seek it out at whatever price. To stand out, or above the Crowd.
Isn't that what we all seek? In the midst of Axe to stand out where others blend in?

Top Bottom