What's new

Gillette new too aggressive, what now

Hey everyone!
I have been using a merkur hd for a few years and decided to try a gillette new long comb. It does a much better job at getting the hairs on my neck. (With my 34C I have to make three passes to get them all.) No matter how slow I go or how lightly I shave, I get several cuts. I was looking at the merkur open comb or slant. Does anyone have experience with these razors? Are the merkurs more or less aggressive than the gillette?
Thanks in advance.

I have Merkur 15c which I find a bit less aggressive than a New but try other blades in the new if you haven't. Personally I prefer a Personna in an open comb and a Yellow 7 o'clock in other razors.

I have not heard of a gillette new long comb, but I would play with different blades a little before you give up on it.

I have not heard of a gillette new long comb, but I would play with different blades a little before you give up on it.

The long comb version is the one you typically see. The short combs are a little harder to find, though they seem to be a little more common in Canada.

I have used derby, and red personnas. I use a feather with my 34c and it slices nicely. With the other two blades in the new, I feel quite a bit more pulling.

The Long comb NEW can be blade sensitive, I've got good results with Derby, IP and Bic blades and not very good results with Feathers, too aggressive.

I love a New with a red Personna. Feathers bad, Derby harsh. Could you be a little off in your angle? Maybe give a short comb New a try, I find it more comfortable and easier to shave with.

I've had incredible results from my long comb new with astras and 7ams, which seem to be gillette 7 o'clock knockoffs. Great blades nonetheless.

Do try a bit more.
When handled right the NEW is a magnificent whisker mower!

The angle is a bit different on the NEW compared to other razors.
It's also a little more sensitive to the right angle, i.e if you are off, you will get burned..

A good thing to look out for is if you get trails in the lather from the teeth, then you are off.

Go slow & feel the blade, good luck!

Do try a bit more.
When handled right the NEW is a magnificent whisker mower!

The angle is a bit different on the NEW compared to other razors.
It's also a little more sensitive to the right angle, i.e if you are off, you will get burned..

A good thing to look out for is if you get trails in the lather from the teeth, then you are off.

Go slow & feel the blade, good luck!

+1 to all of that. It took a bit of practice, really emphasizing No Pressure, but it is a dream once you get the angles right. It also needs a blade that cuts hair effortlessly. The 7 O'Clock Blacks that work very well for me with a safety bar razor stunk in the NEW. Putting a Feather in there made it a dream to shave with.

dont even think about a slant. If the long tooth is too aggressive for you I woulntnt use an open comb at all yet. The long tooth is very nice for most who like an open comb. If you want a nice gentle razor the tech or superspeed will make you happy, in the gillette line. A new Muhle R89 is one of the best new ones out there for 55 dollars. The edwin jagger company has the same razor with a different handle for 20 dollars less. You can not go wrong with any of the above.

I have used derby, and red personnas. I use a feather with my 34c and it slices nicely. With the other two blades in the new, I feel quite a bit more pulling.

I tried a derby in my Gillette New and had terrible results. The Merkur was better! I think the Derby/New combination is deadly. The Astra works well in the New, and I tried a Shark this a.m. with good results.

Asside from my Merkur and EJ, the Gillette New is about the only other razor in my rotation. I'll +1 on getting the angle right; it is different than the Merkur or EJ, and for me can even seem way to gentle if not held right. I use 7 O'Clock blacks and Feathers both with great succes in the New.

-Moe

I tried a derby in my Gillette New and had terrible results. The Merkur was better! I think the Derby/New combination is deadly. The Astra works well in the New, and I tried a Shark this a.m. with good results.

If you decide that the NEW isn't for you I'll trade you a replated Old Type head, send me a PM.
I'm always short NEW heads for my custom handles.

Top Bottom