What's new

"O Melhor" shaving cream - simply "The Best"!

This is my review of "O Melhor", a luxurious Portuguese shaving cream with lanolin made by Confiança Soaps. Feel free to post your comments, gentlemen.
You can find also this review in the "Reviews" section of the forum: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2293163#post2293163

Confiança is a very old factory, founded in 1894, in Braga, northern Portugal.
For more than a century it has achieved an enviable reputation of production of high quality products. Some of their products are in the personal preferences of some well-recognised celebrities, like Oprah Winfrey, Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell. The cherry soaps from Confiança were already part of the famous Christmas baskets of Oprah Winfrey.

Recently, Confiança (=confidence or trust, in Portuguese language) has been recently acquired by Ach.Brito/Claus Porto, makers of "Musgo Real".

This was the second shaving cream produced by Confiança that I have acquired . I was really impressed with my experience with "Top Secret" shaving cream, so I went to a local store and bought a tube of this luxurious shaving cream.

proxy.php

First, let's take a look at what the manufacturer has to say about this shaving cream:

100% Men

“O Melhor” is a product range specially formulated for men's skin care.

Translated as “The Best” it includes shaving cream, exfoliating soap and balsam after-shave.

The stylish retro packaging is the result of the restyling of an original logo dating back to the 1920's.

The strength of this line is reinforced by a back to basis old-school fragrance with notes of musk and marine.

From: http://www.confiancasoaps.com/catalogo/detalhes_produto.php?cat=240&id=193

I must say that I have quite sensitive skin, that doesn't react very well with some aftershaves and shaving creams. But my impressions about "O Melhor" couldn't be better.

Price tag is somewhat high. At about €9,00 a piece, this is not properly cheap stuff. In fact, the cost is about the same of a tube of Musgo Real. But it is worth every penny.

The scent is just marvellous. That is the first thing you notice when you open the tube for the first time. It has some subtle notes of marine, complemented by some woody notes, but in a light, clean and fresh way. A nice and extremely pleasant "cologne" type of scent. However, I wouldn't not call it "old school" or "retro". Very nice.

The package contains 100mL, and it is a metallic coloured tube (not painted) partially wrapped in a retro-style paper label. The same vintage-style label is present in the outer paper box, that is black on the outside and yellow on the inside. All the package is very exquisite and inspires confidence.

It is terrifically effective. Easily produces lots of creamy, slick and protective lather. Does not require a lot of water. The texture of the cream itself is already very creamy, and resembles the texture of Musgo Real.

It is excellent for your skin, leaving it very moisturised. Even with sensitive skin, this cream proves his value, delivering very good protection and slickness during the shave. It contains lanolin, which smooths and moisturises your skin.

For me, this is simply one of the best (if not the best) shaving creams actually available.
The words "O Melhor" mean "The Best" in Portuguese. And that is a name that simply suits this cream heavenly.

Last edited:
It is a good cream. The lanolin does its usual excellent skin conditioning. The scent is definately "cologne".

This is a very good cream, smell is excellent and so is the lather it produces.

It gives me a very comfortable and close shave, leaves my skins BBS and moisturised and the packaging is very retro, real purty like.

Definitely worth the money. :thumbup1:

I wish I could just go to a local store and buy this cream.I have been searching for it but I have not found any.
I did just ordered the Top Secret cream and I am a regular user of Musgo Real but Musgo Real is not difficult to obtain.

Paul

I've been using it for about a year and can say it is one of my favorites and if I didn't a tube of both it and Mussgo, would consider myself deprived. I don't hae the AS balm, but have found it goes well with Spanish Floids AS.

It is great to know that this cream is appreciated! :thumbup1:

It is simply a GREAT shaving cream. Unfortunately, availability is an issue. :tongue_sm It would be great if were more on-line vendors stocking this up.

I have the ASB and it is great, just like the cream. The cream has been sold to a fellow member, which really apreciates it, I am sure of that :laugh:

"O Melhor" shaving cream is now available at one of the vendors of this forum: Shaving.ie.
It is now wonderful to see this marvellous cream, produced in my country, now available to the world!

Anybody know of a source for this cream here in the United States. I'd love to try it, if only for that beautiful design on the box.

Well, the two places I have found it in stock overseas want around $60 for just the postage. If anyone knows a domestic merchant, I would be very grateful.

Top Bottom