What's new

Cream or soap for hard water

Hi I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion for a soap or cream that performs really well in very hard water?

I'm currently getting pretty darn good lather from Proraso soap in the green tub.
I really enjoy lime but the col conk stuff I got does not seem to cushion well but is nice and slick.

Thanks in advance.
Craig.

I have really hard water and just use the super lather combo. I have proraso green and the cheap van der hagen soap.

Hi Craig, I live on the hill country side of Austin. About 8" of topsoil then the limestone of Edward's Aquifer - very hard water! I have used and found the following to be capable soaps and creams:

1. Tabac - I don't care for the aroma but it is a good performer
2. Muhle Sea Buckthorn - with a little extra water and agitation, this will make a great lather!
3. QED - this is glycerin soap. I find that it will provide for an excellent shave. Very well may be my favorite soap right now
4. VDH - believe it or not this cheapie really works well for me and is definitely both priced right and readily available (HEB stocks it)
5. Bigelow cream (Proraso) - if selecting an option solely on lather production, this would take the cake. Tons of lather and I like the eucalyptus. Not sure why I don't use it more often other than I really like soaps in general
6. TOBS cream - this one is another fairly easy choice to generate lather

To be honest, with varying technique, I haven't found much that I can't get a suitable lather with... I don't care for Colonel Conk much as it doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for but beyond that the "higher" end stuff seems capable.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I'm new, so take that with a grain of salt... My water hardness is around 430 ppm TDS.

I've had pretty good luck with Tabac and C.O. Bigelow cream. At the drugstore last night, got a VDH kit with bowl, boar brush and "premium" soap. That also seemed to work ok, though I haven't tried shaving with it.

I've been doing tests in the evenings when I'm not shaving to try and get a better lather. I vary the amount of cream/soap, and usually start off dry, then keep adding water over time to find the sweet spot.

This morning's shave with soap was having a little problem, so I added some cream for a super lather. I'm a big fan of that now!

Hi Craig, I live on the hill country side of Austin. About 8" of topsoil then the limestone of Edward's Aquifer - very hard water! I have used and found the following to be capable soaps and creams:

1. Tabac - I don't care for the aroma but it is a good performer
2. Muhle Sea Buckthorn - with a little extra water and agitation, this will make a great lather!
3. QED - this is glycerin soap. I find that it will provide for an excellent shave. Very well may be my favorite soap right now
4. VDH - believe it or not this cheapie really works well for me and is definitely both priced right and readily available (HEB stocks it)
5. Bigelow cream (Proraso) - if selecting an option solely on lather production, this would take the cake. Tons of lather and I like the eucalyptus. Not sure why I don't use it more often other than I really like soaps in general
6. TOBS cream - this one is another fairly easy choice to generate lather

To be honest, with varying technique, I haven't found much that I can't get a suitable lather with... I don't care for Colonel Conk much as it doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for but beyond that the "higher" end stuff seems capable.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Great thank you very much I ordered some TOBS Cream and I will try some VDH soap when I go by Wal-mart or heb this weekend.
I LOVE my Proraso but sometimes I like something other than menthol eucalyptus. Don't get me wrong it's great in summer but Variety is the spice of life :) and AD!!

The brown truck Dropped of some TOBS Rose and almond hehe but it's well over 100 and now it's soup.

Gonna toss it in the fridge for abit then let it rest on the counter.
I may have contracted SAD!:tongue_sm:lol:

The brown truck Dropped of some TOBS Rose and almond hehe but it's well over 100 and now it's soup.

Gonna toss it in the fridge for abit then let it rest on the counter.
I may have contracted SAD!:tongue_sm:lol:
How'd the TOBS work out for you Craig? It performs well for me, still getting used to the floral aroma but it is growing on me!

I broke out the VDH this morning as I hadn't used it in a while and after thinking about this thread wanted to give it a go - really solid!

How'd the TOBS work out for you Craig? It performs well for me, still getting used to the floral aroma but it is growing on me!

I broke out the VDH this morning as I hadn't used it in a while and after thinking about this thread wanted to give it a go - really solid!

All I can say is WOW! This stuff is fantastic.
I could not believe how easy it was to lather. I had a big happy bowl of lather in nothing flat. This stuff really cushions great and stays moist and slick. My wife gave me some looks and snickers when she smelled the rose which indeed remind me of a tea rose.

Be warned though the "almond" smells liks cherry mash almost or perhaps amerretto cookies maybe even marzipan? So if you're looking for pure almond do not get TOBS almond. I like it heck it smells good enough to eat.

All I can say is WOW! This stuff is fantastic.
I could not believe how easy it was to lather. I had a big happy bowl of lather in nothing flat. This stuff really cushions great and stays moist and slick. My wife gave me some looks and snickers when she smelled the rose which indeed remind me of a tea rose.

Be warned though the "almond" smells liks cherry mash almost or perhaps amerretto cookies maybe even marzipan? So if you're looking for pure almond do not get TOBS almond. I like it heck it smells good enough to eat.
Glad you liked it! My wife is the same way- I have always been more of a "guy". No aftershave, more go with the flow and hope I remember to put deodorant (unscented) on. Bit of exaggeration but you get the picture. Now I have several of these soaps, varying degrees of scent, and she is having a field day with good natured ribbing.

Interesting on the almond - one of the other members posted that Sea Buckthorn tasted good. Never thought to taste a soap but day before yesterday the mad scientist couldn't resist. Not something I would do regularly but it doesn't taste like soap!

Don't have any almond yet but was thinking, once I clear some room that I would get some Valobra or Cella to check out. Both seem to have fans here.

Regardless, congrats. Glad you liked the TOBS!

Glad you liked it! My wife is the same way- I have always been more of a "guy". No aftershave, more go with the flow and hope I remember to put deodorant (unscented) on. Bit of exaggeration but you get the picture. Now I have several of these soaps, varying degrees of scent, and she is having a field day with good natured ribbing.

Interesting on the almond - one of the other members posted that Sea Buckthorn tasted good. Never thought to taste a soap but day before yesterday the mad scientist couldn't resist. Not something I would do regularly but it doesn't taste like soap!

Don't have any almond yet but was thinking, once I clear some room that I would get some Valobra or Cella to check out. Both seem to have fans here.

Regardless, congrats. Glad you liked the TOBS!

I'm looking to add a cabinet or something of that nature shortly.
*lol* the wife loves to rib me about the floral rose scent *lol* like you sure smell pretty for a man shaving etc. I love her for it and she puts up with the AD's.

Top Bottom