What's new

New or vintage, whats better?

Would really like your opinion on this guys,

I can get either a shave ready vintage or a brand new dovo from the Invisible Edge for around the same price.

What do you think is the better option?

Ruffles

This is an often asked question around here. My opinion-- I started off with an inexpensive vintage. Then I felt I needed to buy something new and picked up a new Dovo Prima Klang. A few hundred shaves and a bunch of purchases later (both new and vintage), I prefer the shaves I get from vintage blades.

**This of course is only comparing "new production" and excludes the custom work out there that some of the members on this board do. I can not speak to that, but I would imagine the shaves they can give would need to be in a whole other conversation.

Well I started with a Shavette but it felt tinny if that makes sense. Bought a GD 200 that im still don't think i'v got sharp enough, so I just want something shave ready so I can get an idea how sharp it should be.

I quite like the idea of a vintage. I've seen some beautiful vintage blades. Though I reading some of the posts with pics of the custom stuff done by some of the guys and I was amazed. I would definitely like one of the blades I seen. There are some really talented people on this site.

My answer is colored by the fact that I generally prefer anything vintage over anything new, when feasable. I dig the vintage blades, but have never tried a new one... :blush:

In my limited experience, I would say vintage is better than new. What's most important in a straight razor is the quality of the steel, and it seems that straight razors were manufactured to a higher standard in the past.

It usually the material the scales are made of that determines the cost of a new straight razor. More exotic materials drives up the cost; the blade itself is usually of the same quality throughout all models a manufacture offers.

I quite like the sense of continuity that I get using my straight razor made between 1913 and 1927. Funnily enough it's the one razor SWMBO was most impressed by!

If your talking factory made the vintage is better. In those days things were made with quality and workmanship. These days we accept a new razor will never be shave ready out of the box. Years ago if you got a new razor and it was not shave ready that was defective mdse plain and simple.

Vintage is the way to go, IMHO...quality and craftsmanship cannot be beat...Some of the new ones are good too. I have some of both.

But, who's to say, today's "new" may become tomorrow's vintage...100 years from today :001_smile

Cheers,
Robert

Generally a vintage razor will shave better than the current production. however it will also have to be honed to its potential. Then you may not be able to tell that much difference until you're somewhat proficient at shaving.

Another vote for vintage vs production razors. Unless you are talking about a custom razor (and I would not recommend this until you have quite a bit of experience with various razor grinds, shapes, etc.), then the vintage razor is the way to go from a price/value perspective.

Legion

Staff member
My answer is colored by the fact that I generally prefer anything vintage over anything new, when feasable. I dig the vintage blades, but have never tried a new one... :blush:

+1. Vintage is just cooler. I really enjoy using things and thinking that some dude was using the same tool a hundred years ago.

I've never used a new one either, I've never seen the point when it is easy to get a vintage one in good condition, they often cost less, and you have to make a new one shave ready anyway.

And I'm not squeamish about using second hand stuff. YMMV

Vintage is just cooler. I really enjoy using things and thinking that some dude was using the same tool a hundred years ago.

I said the exact same thing to my wife the other day.

If your talking factory made the vintage is better. In those days things were made with quality and workmanship.

I agree and I'll add pride to your list. Vintage blades also have more character to the blade. There are a couple that I don't buff all the patina all the way out because it looks better. Some vintage blades also have beautiful scales that you you'll never see anywhere else. I only rescale if the scales are a loss and I'll try to keep the scales as simple as possible.

There are a few new blades that I buy new; Thiers Issard are a favorite where I've had the least factory flaws. By far my worst dealings were with Dovo's but I've heard they are completely different now and have a better quality control.

Vintage. That razor you found on Ebay or the antique store, with the cool blade geometry or fancy scales you haven't seen someplace else, or that you heard about being an awesome brand but can't get anymore? You may not come across another one like it for years, or ever again, and if you do you may not be in a position to buy it.

You can always order a Dovo whenever you want.

I think that it's just personal choice. I've got a few of both and they are equally as good at shaving. Like others have said, I also probably lean towards vintage blades purely because I like vintage things.

In the past there was a huge market and serious competition.
These days, it's a niche market maybe a half dozen mass produced straight razors that are actually meant for shaving.

Which do you think is a scenario that engenders quality?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
As mentioned above, it's a personal choice...

It's like asking would you rather drive a '59 Chevy or a 2010 Chevy? Some will pick vintage over the other and vice versa.

I prefer Vintage myself, more choice and usually cheaper.

Top Bottom