What's new

Dovo Mammut - Does anyone have one?

And if so, what do you think about it? I'm considering buying one in the next month or so and as they are a pretty pricey piece, I'd like to get an opinion or two of peope that have actually got one.

Are you talking about the Mammoth? If so, I believe Joel did a review on one and gave it pretty disappointing marks. I think you could get a much better razor if your prepared to drop 500 bucks.

Thanks. I've just found it and read of it. He said it's a decent shaving razor but the build quality was really poor. Oh well, unless I find a second hand one cheap, I think I'll give it a miss.

For that kind of money you can buy a NOS Filly or MK Heljestrand or an old Solingen from back in the days when their QC was good & they actually could be proud of the razors they put out AND have it rescaled in mammoth ivory by some of the Good Men around here.

My $0.02

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't have one but from what I see, you can get a perfectly respectable straight for the same price, maybe 2-3 even... I didn't try it so keep that in mind... I have straights that I paid a very low price and get awesome shaves out of them!

It's almost as much about Mammoth scales as it quality of the shave. It must give a good shave and Joels review suggests that it does but I love the history of razors and although the razor is new, the scales are from an iconic extinct animal that was walking around with the tusks 40,000 years ago.

Custom makers also use Mammoth. Both Livi and Williams, and perhaps others.

Actually, it is not that hard to find a good vintage razor with Ivory scales.

I have that razor. It's a fine shaver but to tell you the truth it's not worth the price. I got mine on the cheap on Eboy. I thought the finish on the blade wasn't fitting the price and the scales were mismatched and not well finished also the razor is very off balance and the scales are too thick for holding and I thought the little critter on the blade was cartoonish looking.

How strange. Not long after I posted this, a Dovo Mammut came up for sale on another forum. Reading the replies made with think and hesitate and I ended up missing it which is not a bad thing because for $25 more than they were asking for the Mammut, I ended up getting a NOS Filarmonica 6/8 Doble Temple and a 6/8 Mastro Livi.

Top Bottom