What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

To be honest it was just something I did as a fun project with some spare time I had, nothing was asked for in return - I'm just a fan of his work :) Rudy being the gentleman he is simply asked for my postal address at the end of it all and just over a week later a small package arrives all the way at my doorstep here in Australia:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

TGN Finest Badger 22mm in Red Boxelder Burl :001_tt1:

Thanks very much Rudy! Absolutely thrilled with my very own RV Custom. The pictures don't do it justice, it is even more stunning in person!

Wow that brush looks amazing! I think the logo looks great too.

I see the term 'stabilized' in some of the brush descriptions. What does that mean when talking about a brush?

"Wood Stabilization is pressure impregnation process with a heat curable polymer resin, and has many potential benefits:

# Brings out the beauty of the wood by adding contrast to the grain and figuring.
# Reduce end grain tear out
# Hardens soft or spalted woods
# Significantly reduces effects of humidity changes
# Reduces finishing time (varies with species)
# Greatly improved dimensional stability for burls and highly figured woods
# Please note that stabilizing will not repair cracks and holes"

-lifted from a web page on the subject

No worries, I had a good idea, but to be honest I was curious too.

It think we have all fallen pray to that a time or too. I would love a "glass jar" I just dont know what knot to have put in it.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Can we send our Brushes back to get the logo on them?

JB

We are working on a solution to hold the finished brush while engraving. The handles are just set on their top, but the hair would not allow this, even stiff boar hair...:lol:
As soon as we have a way, I let you guys know.

Rudy Vey

"Wood Stabilization is pressure impregnation process with a heat curable polymer resin, and has many potential benefits:

# Brings out the beauty of the wood by adding contrast to the grain and figuring.
# Reduce end grain tear out
# Hardens soft or spalted woods
# Significantly reduces effects of humidity changes
# Reduces finishing time (varies with species)
# Greatly improved dimensional stability for burls and highly figured woods
# Please note that stabilizing will not repair cracks and holes"

-lifted from a web page on the subject

Thanks for posting this explanation, I am a bit limited right now with internet access as I am out of the country on business (in my real job...):001_rolle

Thanks for posting this explanation, I am a bit limited right now with internet access as I am out of the country on business (in my real job...):001_rolle

Anytime, its the least I could do after you have fed me invaluable info on multiple occasions.

Last edited:
Rudy: Feel free to post pictures of my brush when done. Otherwise, I will have to have one of my kids do it for me.:blush:Regards, Bradley

Rudy Vey

Rudy: Feel free to post pictures of my brush when done. Otherwise, I will have to have one of my kids do it for me.:blush:Regards, Bradley

Here is my second Kent BK4 "surgery". Bradley sent me the Kent brush and I performed the same operation I did before on another Kent BK4: removal of the knot and then installing it at a decent ( say "usable") loft so the brush can be used for face lathering. The loft of the "new" Kent/RV BK4 is 48 mm.
The new handle is made from a piece of exceptional gorgeous piece of natural gold colored stabilized Boxelder Burl in the Tulip shape.

Rudy: Thanks for doing such a beautiful job improving my BK4! I liked the brush before, but know that I will love the Kent/RV. Lucky me.:thumbup: Regards, Bradley

Top Bottom