What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

I just got my new RV custom in the mail. As per usual, and I think everyone has gone through this, I shaved this morning so OF COURSE it showed up today. I suppose I will JUST have to wait until Saturday.

I have to say, though, that it is beyond visually striking and exactly what I had in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if my blind neighbor showed up and told me to maybe put a handkerchief or something over it. It is a Finest badger 22mm knot set at around 47mm. The handle is sort-of a combination of a Morris & Forndran and a Simpson M7.

$2012-11-01 23.15.12.jpg

I just got my new RV custom in the mail. As per usual, and I think everyone has gone through this, I shaved this morning so OF COURSE it showed up today. I suppose I will JUST have to wait until Saturday.

I have to say, though, that it is beyond visually striking and exactly what I had in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if my blind neighbor showed up and told me to maybe put a handkerchief or something over it. It is a Finest badger 22mm knot set at around 47mm. The handle is sort-of a combination of a Morris & Forndran and a Simpson M7.

View attachment 282939

Shouldn't the see-no-evil monkey be facing the brush?

:biggrin:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hi Guys
Just a quick update: we are alive and well. We have power, but no TV, Internet or cell phone service. I am using someones wireless to post this here. As soon as we have internet back, I will respond to all the e-mails and pm's I got.

Hope everything comes back for you soon Rudy! We were without for 4.5 days after Irene last year. Not having power stinks, but being safe is better.

Here are some pictures of the R7 from a page or two back now with a TGN 24mm Finest XH Fan installed. These pics are post bloom. Beautiful backbone, soft tips, and great flow through. You can find my previous post a couple pages back with pictures of all 3 he made for me. The acrylic is crazy!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Josh

Rudy Vey

We are back in business!!!! The power was off for 36 hours (only 36, last year during Irene, we lost power for 4 days), and our generator helped us through this time. The TV came back on last night and my internet this afternoon. Still waiting for AT+T to restore the cellphones to full service. Here in our area, we get only SOS and can make hardly any calls. As soon as we travel out of our area, we are picking up signal and can use our phones.
All pm's and e-mails will be answered by end of this day. I am making handles this weekend, however, I am not sure if my engraver is back on, as he has not answered my e-mail or phone call.

Very nice, Rudy, always good to hear from those we care about in a hard hit area. Glad to hear the ol' lathe will fire back up this weekend. Good therapy, methinks.

We are back in business!!!! The power was off for 36 hours (only 36, last year during Irene, we lost power for 4 days), and our generator helped us through this time. The TV came back on last night and my internet this afternoon. Still waiting for AT+T to restore the cellphones to full service. Here in our area, we get only SOS and can make hardly any calls. As soon as we travel out of our area, we are picking up signal and can use our phones.
All pm's and e-mails will be answered by end of this day. I am making handles this weekend, however, I am not sure if my engraver is back on, as he has not answered my e-mail or phone call.

Rudy,
Glad you are all alright and back. Loving my beautiful amber-swirl(?) "R7" Shavemac 2-band. Already taken it for a couple of "test drives". Need to charge up camera and post a pic or two. thanks again, marty

Rudy Vey

Here as promised some time ago, a few pictures from my resin stabilization set-up.
The first picture shows the vacuum tank with some 50000 year old Kauri wood immersed and the vacuum turned on.
The second shows the foam created from the air that is pulled out of the wood. Eventually, all the air is out and the wood is filled with the resin.
Tomorrow a few more on how the stabilized wood will look after it is cured.

$IMG_3969.jpg$IMG_3970.jpg$IMG_3975.jpg

Rudy doesn't let a little thing like a hundred-year storm slow him down! I contacted him Wednesday, not realizing at first that he was surely offline due to Sandy. Friday, he contacted me and we worked out the design of a brush to replace my starter brush, a $5 Van Der Hagen boar. We traded a few emails and before I knew it I received the email starting with "Here she is!"

$IMG_3977.jpg

$IMG_3976.jpg

That's mesquite wood stabilized, I think, in the rig shown above. Rudy tells me the burl eyes in the mesquite are a rare find. The knot is a fan-shaped 24mm two-band finest set at about 51mm loft. I am so excited to see it in person and obviously to put it to use. I came to B&B looking for a review of a mass-produced badger brush I was considering ordering from Amazon, only to discover that for a few dollars more I could get a custom-designed, handmade beauty like this. Rudy is, as his reputation here shows, a real joy to work with. I cannot say enough good things about this experience.

Rudy Vey

As promised, a few more pictures from the stabilization front....After the wood is full of the resin, the resin must be cured in an oven. To do so, I wrap the stabilized blanks in aluminum foil and put it in a small toaster oven. Curing time is something of a crap shoot, but the inside of the blank needs to reach 195 F for at least 10 min. So, I leave them in the oven for about 90 minutes, if the cure is longer, this is not a problem. Too short does not lead to a fully cured resin.
Some of the resin will come out during the cure and can be seen on this stabilized blank of 50000 year old Kauri wood from NZ.

Attachments

• $IMG_3982.jpg
    $IMG_3982.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,421
  • $IMG_3983.jpg
    $IMG_3983.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,423
  • $IMG_3984.jpg
    $IMG_3984.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,435
$IMG_3940.JPG$P1000519.jpg

The Rudy pre-ship shot and my attempt at post-bloom shot after a couple of lathers. 22-23mm Shavemac D-01 2-band with loft about 48, total height roughly 110mm.
And another hearty thank you to Rudy.

As promised, a few more pictures from the stabilization front....After the wood is full of the resin, the resin must be cured in an oven. To do so, I wrap the stabilized blanks in aluminum foil and put it in a small toaster oven. Curing time is something of a crap shoot, but the inside of the blank needs to reach 195 F for at least 10 min. So, I leave them in the oven for about 90 minutes, if the cure is longer, this is not a problem. Too short does not lead to a fully cured resin.
Some of the resin will come out during the cure and can be seen on this stabilized blank of 50000 year old Kauri wood from NZ.

That is some serious wood my friend

Rudy Vey

Here are again a few orphans in my surplus handle sale!! First are a few wooden, then some in resin.
First up are three outstanding handles in Chubby style, all from resin stabilized wood. I also took a picture of the bottom of the brush handle before I take them to the engraver tonight, so you can see the outstanding figure of these.
From the left to the right:
Amboyna Burl, the Rolls Royce of burl woods and really hard to find in a excellent quality like this one (diameter of hole is 22 mm and depth is 13 mm, would be nice for a travel brush) $45 SOLD
Black Ash Burl (diameter of hole 24 mm, depth is 16 mm) $40 SOLD
Buckeye Burl - Ohio State Tree (diameter of hole 26 mm, depth is 15 mm) $35 Sold

Then the resins, from the left:
Black resin Stubby (diameter of hole is a tad over 24 mm, depth is 21 - for really short loft!) $30
Black/White (diameter of hole is 24 mm and the depth is 19, also good for a short loft) $30 Pending
Omega inspired shape, in faux aged ivory - a RV specialty!! (diameter of hole is 23 mm and the depth is only 13 mm, but could be drilled deeper): $30

All brushes have the RV Shaving logo engraved. I will include first class shipping in the CONUS in the prices.

Attachments

• $IMG_4010.jpg
    $IMG_4010.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,404
  • $IMG_4011.jpg
    $IMG_4011.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,282
  • $IMG_4012.jpg
    $IMG_4012.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,278
Last edited:

Rudy Vey

I have included the shipping with first class in the CONUS in the price of the handle. I do this so they move a bit faster.

Top Bottom