What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Well, my wife and I also like the version from DracZ better and we decided to use this from now on. Had the first brushes engraved today and they came out very nice, the engraver loved it as well.
Thanks to DracZ!!

Attachments

• $RV2 NEW LOGO.jpg
    $RV2 NEW LOGO.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 4,845
Well, my wife and I also like the version from DracZ better and we decided to use this from now on. Had the first brushes engraved today and they came out very nice, the engraver loved it as well.
Thanks to DracZ!!

My pleasure Rudy, its an honour having ones work on such spectacular designs! Can't wait to see how they turn out :thumbup:

Thanks to DracZ!!

Pictures!! We wanna see it!

OK, maybe just me, but still...

It looks like Rudy has decided to go with your logo, DracZ. Congrats!

Hopefully you guys were able to work out a little trade!

Thanks for all the support gents, to see all the positive responses alone has made the effort worthwhile. :blushing::thumbup:

Last edited:
I understand that you turn or cast the handles yourself, and set the knot, but it sounds like you don't actually make the knot yourself, is that correct? If so, are there any size or shape limitations on knot options, or do you have access to custom knots in any configuration?

I'm not much of a fan on shaving brushes but I am a fan of Rudy. He just sent me a gorgeous buffalo horn brush in a super badger:w00t:.

Hopefully we can get a few more pumped out on some ideas I have for others. There is sure something special about having something made by someone who cares about quality and having a happy customer:thumbup1:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yesterday I did something which have done only once or twice before: freed a knot from a handle to transplant it into a new handle! So far, I did remove a number of Omega knots from 10066 brushes, but this is quite easy. The other transplant I did was one of my own brushes: I smashed the handle with a hammer to free the knot and then put it into a new handle (I knew how the inside looked, which way the knot was glued in and how).
Now, yesterday I "operated" out the knot of a Kent BK4. My customer feels this is way to floppy - and he is right. This knot now will be installed in a new handle and will have a much shorter loft. It was an operation that was carried out very careful and took about 45 minutes.
There is always the risk the knot might get destroyed when trying to remove it from a handle. I was lucky yesterday, and I think it has to do with the fact that this Kent knot sits in side some kind of a cup. The glue inside was very sparsely (no wonder why some of the knots in some of the Kent brushes come loose). I think only three or four hairs came loose as they were attached to a small dot of squeezed out glue.

How did I do this?
First I wrapped the hair tightly with a thin cardboard piece, held together with some rubber bands. Then I made a few small cut with a fine saw, careful not to cut into the knot. I did three cuts altogether. The were slightly angled. Now I used a screwdriver and inserted it into the saw cut and twisted it. The handle material was shattering like glass, very sharp edges. Do not drop any of these brushes, the handle will shatter easily.
The handle parts that were still attached to the knot were removed with pliers. Here is the knot after the successful operation:

Hey, Rudy - I'd love to see the outcome and hear about how this knot feels post-op. I think it would be great with a 45mm loft in a snug channel :thumbup:

Hey, Rudy - I'd love to see the outcome and hear about how this knot feels post-op. I think it would be great with a 45mm loft in a snug channel :thumbup:

Well I'll let you know how it feels at 42mm loft and post some pics and performance in the brush forum :thumbup:

It looks like Rudy has decided to go with your logo, DracZ. Congrats!

Hopefully you guys were able to work out a little trade!

To be honest it was just something I did as a fun project with some spare time I had, nothing was asked for in return - I'm just a fan of his work :) Rudy being the gentleman he is simply asked for my postal address at the end of it all and just over a week later a small package arrives all the way at my doorstep here in Australia:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

TGN Finest Badger 22mm in Red Boxelder Burl :001_tt1:

Thanks very much Rudy! Absolutely thrilled with my very own RV Custom. The pictures don't do it justice, it is even more stunning in person!

TGN Finest Badger 22mm in Red Boxelder Burl :001_tt1:
Thanks very much Rudy! Absolutely thrilled with my very own RV Custom. The pictures don't do it justice, it is even more stunning in person!

Enjoy using it, it's beautiful! I too have been thrilled with my Rudy Vey custom - I never use my Simpson's chubby any more!

I had contacted rudy about a vulfix 41 clone in irish bog oak, two band finest....unfortunately he did not have a piece large enough for this project. I asked to have it done in butterscotch acrylic, which he was happy to do and gave me a few options hair wise.....at 8 this morning I had confirmed what I wanted.....at 4pm rudy had the piece set and waiting approval. Wow, talk about fast! I can't wait to receive it, pictures look awesome. And the price was very very fair imo, I can't see any real reason to go with a big name brush when rudy can turn out an excellent custom product fast and "cheap"!

Top Bottom