What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Hey guys,
I am the proud owner of a new design brush that I asked Rudy to make for me. It is with 26mm TGN Grade A Silvertip, in Kingwood. I present you with his masterpiece. The pictures below are his and in the next several days, I will feature it in the SOTD section

Pictures below are ones taken by Rudy (not me):
View attachment 149085

View attachment 149086

Prelude: Rudy was patient enough with me...I think I was a PITA to deal with as I had him do this handle 3 times, before I was happy. Rudy: my hat's off to you my friend. You have gained a very (and I mean Very) happy customer. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :ouch1::ouch1:. I LOVE this work of art :em2200:.

Fantastic brush, I cant wait to hear how the angle of the head feels in use. Very interesting design.

Prelude: Rudy was patient enough with me...I think I was a PITA to deal with as I had him do this handle 3 times, before I was happy. Rudy: my hat's off to you my friend. You have gained a very (and I mean Very) happy customer. Thank you from the bottom of my heart :ouch1::ouch1:. I LOVE this work of art :em2200:.

+1 I sent Rudy lots of emails for my Flask brush. I was happy with his first go at it, but I know I was still very particular. Rudy has the penitents of a saint!

I enjoy unique looking products. Now let us talk about "slant brushes" and the "angle" of a brush. This might just set a new trend around the forums.

My brush arrived from Rudy today. It looks so much better in hand than the image can convey.

proxy.php

Narra wood, 22mm Finest Badger 48mm loft

Lewis

Fantastic brush, I cant wait to hear how the angle of the head feels in use. Very interesting design.

Thank you :001_smile. I certainly love the feel of it in my hands. Very ergonomic and easy on the wrists. I did a test lather and applied to face tonight and it is very very good.

+1 I sent Rudy lots of emails for my Flask brush. I was happy with his first go at it, but I know I was still very particular. Rudy has the penitents of a saint!

Saint. Rudy or Saint. Vey :laugh:...I like it. We can even declare it a holiday.

Hey guys, wanted to post some pictures of my RV brushes. I just recieved two handles from him earlier today, the persian jar and the wee scot style handle. I put a 24mm TGN fan shaped finest knot in the PJ, and a 20mm TGN fan shaped finest in the wee scot style handle. The knot is set at 43mm on the 20 and 48mm on the 24. The horn handled one is a 22mm TGN finest fan set at 46mm, the Tulip with the bulb is a custom Shavemac for creams, and lastly the chubby style handle is with a 22mm custom Shavemac fan knot in D01. All of these handles except the horn handle have the new Rudy Vey logo engraved on the bottom of the handle...

Enjoy the pics...

Justin

Last edited:
A couple RV photos of the flat top Shavemac in buckeye burl he made for me.

It is blooming quite well -- more photos to come...

Rudy, can you put out a list of the different types of knots, and materials available for handles on here, or reply with a PM. I am shopping around for a new brush, and yours are very highly recommended on here.

BadgerRN

Hey guys,
I am the proud owner of a new design brush that I asked Rudy to make for me. It is with 26mm TGN Grade A Silvertip, in Kingwood. I present you with his masterpiece. The pictures below are his and in the next several days, I will feature it in the SOTD section

Pictures below are ones taken by Rudy (not me):
View attachment 149085

View attachment 149086

Oh good to see that was the actual shape, you're SOTD's have been freaking me out and made me think I'm seeing things:lol:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The following question came up, and I try to answer it:

"Rudy, can you put out a list of the different types of knots, and materials available for handles on here, or reply with a PM. I am shopping around for a new brush, and yours are very highly recommended on here."

This time I will write a bit about the knots I am using in my brushes, the next installment will deal with handle materials.

Most of the knots I use are either two-band Finest or Silvertip Grade A from the Golden Nib. I think these knots are an excellent value for the money. Both can be used for bowl or face lather, soaps or cream - depending on size and how the loft is set. Both have a good backbone, but also soft tips. I give the STA an edge over the Finest in softness. I stock normally the STA from 20 mm through 30 mm, and the Finest from 16 mm-26 mm (I stock both the standard bulb as well as the fan shaped knots in the sizes they are available).

For face lather I normally set them at a lower loft and a bit longer for the bowl guys. If you decide on a brush made by me, we discuss your lathering preferences and what you use for it (creams and/or soaps). A tendency I see is that face latherer, myself included, prefer a smaller knot with a shorter loft, especially when using soaps. The larger knots and longer lofts are more the favor of the bowl latherer. Often, the first group prefers the fan shape over the bulb shape.

For the "connoisseurs" I can get custom-made Shavemac knots. Many of my customers who go this route have a good idea what they want. Most of them are face latherers and prefer the fan-shape or the extreme Flattop shaped knots. The pictures below show two 19 mm knots (they are both mine:001_tt1:) in standard fan as well as the extreme flattop shape.
The left one is a three-band D01 and the right knot a two-band D01 knot - the highest hair quality that is used by Shavemac. The pictures show how well these knots are made and how dense the hair is.

I also have used the finest hair from Bernd, this is also a great quality, and is less expensive than the D01 hair qualities. These custom made Shavemac knots are not cheap!! Remember, these knots are made to your specs!!
Right now, it takes a good four weeks on average from order to receipt of the knots (toward the Christmas holidays, this may go up a few weeks). I know that Bernd is not the fastest by returning e-mails, so I call him to confirm what I have on order - one advantage of speaking German:lol:.

Rudy, I'd sure like to see one of those Shavemac two-band D01's in about a 24mm face lathering monster...Oh wait...I have one coming to you from Bernd...:lol::lol::lol:

I can't wait, send me a picture of the knot when it comes in.

Thanks,

Justin

Top Bottom