What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
In the Shaving brushes forum someone asked the question about the ranking (grading) of the TGN knots. Especially it was asked where the Two-Band Finest is ranked in the line-up.
Well, I do rank the Two-Band finest quite high, right up in the Silvertip Grade A (STA) range. Why is this??
It is a totally different hair the knots are made from, a thicker hair. It has quite some backbone, but soft tips. A total different type in comparison to the STA. A lot of the top line brushes of the famous makers are made with Two-band finest hair. Rooney called them "Finest" as well, the name for the high-end Simpsons is "Super" for their version of the Two-Band.
At Shavemac the top quality hair is the D01 Two-band version, I think Bernd calls them "Silvertip D01 Two Band".

You see, a lot of the high end brushes are using the two band hair. I my opinion for soaps and face lather it is the best hair grade. Out of my eight brushes, five are two-band Finest. The three non-Two-band are also short, densely packed Best (Eagle) or Super Silvertip (Rooney 1/1) and a Shavemac bulb (for creams).

Here is my ranking scale of the TGN knots:
pure (low end)
Best
Silvertip
Super Badger
Silvertip Grade A for me this is equal to the two-band finest
Super Silvertip (pretty much a STA, just a bit softer)

The Superbadgers are very soft, and might be floppy to some, they need to be set at a low loft when used for soaps and face lather.

Rudy, Do you think the 2-band knots need to be as dense as silvertip?

I have a 2 band brush with moderate density but it seems to be the hairs themselves (thicker shafts, soft tips) that give it backbone. The brush is not a lather hog and is really nice to use.

Another beautiful brush by Rudy with some really nice marbling in the handle and really soft tips. It's a 26mm ST/A at a 50mm loft.

Rudy just made my first (non-crappy) brush. He was a lot of help since I really don't know much about brushes. I have a sensitive face and so he tailored everything nicely to my needs.

TGN Silvertip Grade A 22mm
Persian Jar w/ faux tortoise shell resin
proxy.php

proxy.php

Getting engraved and sent out. Hopefully it will last me a loooong time ha

-Mark

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Gentlemen
when sending a brush for restoration to me, please include a copy of our e-mails. Alternatively, put a paper in the box with your name (and screen name) and address. From time to time I get a box with just a brush inside, often weeks after we have e-mailed about it. And I also get sometimes a box without any information and just the address on the outside, but no name.
By putting the information inside the package makes things much easier for us:thumbup1:.
Thanks!

Gentlemen
when sending a brush for restoration to me, please include a copy of our e-mails. Alternatively, put a paper in the box with your name (and screen name) and address. From time to time I get a box with just a brush inside, often weeks after we have e-mailed about it. And I also get sometimes a box without any information and just the address on the outside, but no name.
By putting the information inside the package makes things much easier for us:thumbup1:.
Thanks!

That happens to me all the time, like I'm suppose to remember everybody I exchange e-mails and PMs with and their wacky user names and e-mail addresses.
I tell them to include "All" their contact information in the package.

What else kills me is when I'm exchanging e-mails or PMs with someone and they send me a "new" e-mail instead of a reply and it might be days since their last message, Like I'm supposed to remember what you wanted last week when I've answered dozen of e-mails since.

What else kills me is when I'm exchanging e-mails or PMs with someone and they send me a "new" e-mail instead of a reply and it might be days since their last message, Like I'm supposed to remember what you wanted last week when I've answered dozen of e-mails since.

And as we get older the CRS gets worse! :laugh: Like going upstairs to get something and by the time I get up there, I can't remember what I went up there for! Forget about yesterday! :blush:

Rudy just made my first (non-crappy) brush. He was a lot of help since I really don't know much about brushes. I have a sensitive face and so he tailored everything nicely to my needs.

proxy.php

proxy.php

-Mark

That is a *beautiful* brush.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Gentlemen
Thanks!

That happens to me all the time, like I'm suppose to remember everybody I exchange e-mails and PMs with and their wacky user names and e-mail addresses.

What are we supposed to do?:001_huh:

OK I am guilty....but I did PM you Rudy and warned you ahead of time I was guilty. Does that help make me un guilty.:blink:

proxy.php

proxy.php

-Mark

WOW!!!!! :001_tt1:

Gentlemen
Thanks!

Rudy, Bob;

I get calls from people that routinely go start like this, "I'm having that same problem on my computer again, that you fixed six months ago."

Oh yeah, I remember now... :lol:

I've used my name as my screen name at every forum at which I'm a member which allows me to do so. My email addresses are the same. I receive and review resumes for my company and it amazes me the number of people who have email addresses on their professional resume such as "PhunkDaddy@, Bu$terA$$@, or ClubMonkey@. :blushing: When people come to me for advice on their resume along with other advice I render, the number one thing I point out is that [email protected] doesn't say very good things about them so I send them an invite to gmail and suggest [email protected] since [email protected] will likey be their professional address within any company that hires them.

Last edited:
Well here it is!
My Rudy Vey custom.
The brush is inspired by my Montblanc Meisterstuck pen.
The handle is long. I have big hands and this fits my hand perfectly.
A 2-band finest knot tops it off.
I' took it for a test this afternoon and it just destroys soap. I had such nice thick lather.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom