What's new

Black, Ivory, or Chrome?

I have pretty much narrowed down that one of these three will be the den mate to my fat boy in the near future. Only problem is that from day to day I waffle back and forth among the 3 handle choices below (Edwin Jagger 86, 87 and 89L). My understanding is that, despite the different model numbers, all three of these share the same head, right?

Hmmmm, which one should it be??? :confused1

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

- Steve :001_cool:

As I understand it, The heads are the same.

I personally own the black handled Edwin Jagger - A fine razor. I got it from the English Shaving Company for $25 total delivered. They had a free shipping promotion and all that English VAT tax was removed.

What a deal.

I've been shopping their web site against the U.S. stores and if my conversion is correct, I think I can get it from them for the best price. That is probably where I will go.

Looks like about $32, shipped to the U.S. for the lined chrome handle, which is the most expensive of the 3. Still cheaper than I have been able to find it from a U.S. vendor. Thanks for the code :thumbup1:

Still can't decide on the handle :001_unsur

I have the ivory handled one. It shaves like a dream and it's really lovely in person. It seems a bit heavier than the Muhle R89 which I also own.

I own the DE86 because I liked the black/ebony handle. However, the chrome would be my close second choice. Regardless, you are getting an excellent razor and, yes, they all shave the same.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The three razors have exactly the same head, the only difference is the handle. I decided to purchase both the DE89 and the DE87 because I like the super shiny Chrome finish on the DE89 and the nice Ivory colour of the DE87 (which matches the handle of all my brushes).
That said, they are three TERRIFIC, FANTASTIC, AMAZING Double Edge razors!

I just received my ivory JE and it is beautiful. Great balance and weight and matches my accessories. Loaded a Derby in and had a wonderful first shave. What a great razor.

I've got the 89L and recommend it.

What pushed me toward all-chrome were concerns that resin handles would be more slippery when wet and more head-heavy because of their lighter weight. I've since decided that slipperiness is a non-issue for how I shave, but the balance of the 89L is great.

I've got the 89L and recommend it.

What pushed me toward all-chrome were concerns that resin handles would be more slippery when wet and more head-heavy because of their lighter weight. I've since decided that slipperiness is a non-issue for how I shave, but the balance of the 89L is great.

I have both the 89(chrome) and the 86(black) & I mostly agree. The 89 is a heavier handle and has great balance. The 86 is lighter and is a little more head heavy. Neither handle is slippery though.:thumbup1:

I had the same conundrum a few months back when The English Shaving Co. was having it's free shipping sale, and I went with the Ivory-handled DE87. My concerns were weight and grip. I found out that the weight of the DE87 and DE89L are within just a couple of grams of one another, so that point was moot. My concern for the smooth resin handle's "grip-ability" were unfounded as well, and I am very happy with my choice.

Seriously, is there ANYBODY who doesn't like these things? And I have to go along with the crowd: I have the Muehle R89 (same head), and it's just simply wonderful.

Top Bottom