What's new

Wedge v Full Hollow

I just started using a str8 I got from Larry@Whippeddog. From what I can tell it would classified as a wedge. I have been looking at other razors and a lot of them are full hollow ground.

What could one expect going from a wedge to a full hollow? How would the shave differ?

IMHO wedges are a little more forgiving than full hollows. Both will give you a great shave, but getting one out of a full hollow takes a little more skill. I go back and forth on which I prefer. Full hollows seem more comfortable while shaving but old Sheffield steel is so buttery smooth.

IMHO wedges are a little more forgiving than full hollows. Both will give you a great shave, but getting one out of a full hollow takes a little more skill. I go back and forth on which I prefer. Full hollows seem more comfortable while shaving but old Sheffield steel is so buttery smooth.

Wedges looks awesome, that makes it for me :thumbup1:

I'm a big fan of a wedge. I like how they shave and I like the feeling of weight in my hand.

All three of these pretty much sum it up!

I started out prefering heavier grinds, but now I shave pretty much exclusively with full hollows. I love the feel, feedback, and the precision that I get from a full hollow. Once you've mastered that wedge, get yourself a full hollow and really start learning how to shave! :biggrin:

Wedges feel better in my hand and are a little easier for me to control on my face. Full hollows are typically sharper (My dullest wedge-type razor is ~33degrees. Most full hollows are (if memory serves) in the 16-22 degrees range.) Both are great.

I'm a big fan of a wedge. I like how they shave and I like the feeling of weight in my hand.

All three of these pretty much sum it up!

What he said^:biggrin1:

I flip flop back and forth but right now I'm on a frameback tear and just fell in love with them. Henry said just get one and I haven't looked back. Now maybe someone can answer this for me and to clarify for the OP but would a frameback be full hollow, but just on a frame?:blush:

Top Bottom