What's new

My DE experience

I mainly doing this to track my own experience, but I figured I would post it to the board. It may help other Newbie's, and it may provide a means for our more experienced shavers to offer their thoughts and advice. *note to mods: if this should be in another section, feel free to move it! :thumbup1:

I have always loved my morning shaves. After years of using cartridges, I have decided to plunge into using a DE razor. All in all, I am very pleased. It takes a little longer, but my face feels very good. Add to that the fact I am not spending $20 for blades, and the switch has been a good one (so far). Of course, the initial outlay has been expensive, but not too bad.

So here is goes! I'm going to be descriptive. It'll help me as I review this over time, and I know you guys like the details :thumbup:

First let me talk about my tools:
  1. Merkur DE razor
  2. Blade sample pack - currently using a Persona Platinum blade
  3. DR Harris's "Arlington" shave cream and aftershave milk
  4. small boar brush (it was in another sample pack I bought. I'll need to get a larger one soon)
  5. Pacific Shave pre-shave oil
  6. Alum block

Here's my regimen:
  1. Hot shower
  2. Fill basin with hot water while brush soaks in my shaving cup filled with hot water
  3. Small dab of cream on the brush and lather up in cup
  4. Massage pre-shave oil into face
  5. Apply lather - I don't use circular strokes. I apply it "paintbrush style"
  6. 1st pass is WTG working from the neck up. I've got some crazy hair growth patterns on my neck, so sometimes I have to shave up to stay WTG
  7. 2nd pass is XTG - again, being really careful about the growth patterns
  8. 3rd pass is touch up
  9. Use water in basin to rinse off excess cream
  10. Rinse off with cold water
  11. rub alum block onto face to take care of nicks - MAN THAT STINGS
  12. Pad dry a bit and apply aftershave

I have been going at it for about a week. I watched Mantic59's videos and another "How to Shave" video by an English gentleman on You Tube. I'm still working through my technique.

I had been using the Merkur blade which came with my razor, but I switched to the Persona this morning. I bought a sample pack of blades, but will go through each package before moving to the next brand.

The DR Harris cream is great. A small dab gives me a good lather, and is good for three passes. The Arlington scent has a citrus scent which the women in my house (wife & two daughters) like. The aftershave milk stings a bit, but I like the way my face feels after-wards.

This morning's shave was the best yet. I didn't shave yesterday in order to give my face a break (and I just didn't have time :001_rolle).The Persona blade felt really good. I'm not sure if that is a result of it being a better blade for me vs. the Merkur, or if I am just getting more comfortable with my technique. Time will tell. I still got a few nicks, but I think these will go down as I get used to my technique. The nicks were mainly on my neck due to the mix of growth and on my chin. I think I went over the same area too many times on my chin - I have to watch that. It was my first day using the alum block. It really stung, but if it helps take care of those nicks so be it.

Feel free to comment or just read. As I said, I am doing this largely to track my progress, but if it helps a Newbie, or if others would like to offer tips, then great!

Last edited:
Great post and welcome! As a fellow new-DE shaver I enjoy reading of other's experiences and thoughts on products they are trying as it helps guide my own path.

P.S. my wife is from Sonoma County

Welcome! As a newbie to DE shaving I really enjoy reading posts from others new to this art.

I have not used an alum block before but I did try a steptic pencil on a small nick on my chin and it stung allot but stopped the bleeding right away.

I've been at this for about three weeks and really enjoy this method of shaving. My face is looking and feeling much better.

I look forward to reading your follow-up posts.

Welcome to B&B.

Although many people like Persona blades, I have been told to never use the blade that comes with a razor. Apparently they tend to get banged up and dulled by bouncing around in the razor box during shipping. The Merkur blades I've used out a proper package have worked well enough for me.

If you're only a week in, your technique is probably getting better by leaps and bounds. I'm not saying the Persona blades aren't better for you, just that there are a number of things that could lead to the better shave. Keep up the good work.

Nothing to report today, gents, I am giving my face a break. I am coaching an early moring soccer practice (football, for those not in the US), and I won't take time to shave afterwards. That means tomorrow will have a nice two day growth! I love those shaves!

Enjoyable post! Looks like you are going in the right direction. Good you are trying other blades than the merkurs. One thing that may work well for you is to use all but 1 or 2 blades in your sampler packs, then when you have run through each brand, try out the remaining ones of your favorite brands. This way your technique should be a bit improved and you will get a clearer picture of the winning blade for you! Or maybe not... YMMV of course! :thumbup:

Enjoyable post! Looks like you are going in the right direction. Good you are trying other blades than the merkurs. One thing that may work well for you is to use all but 1 or 2 blades in your sampler packs, then when you have run through each brand, try out the remaining ones of your favorite brands. This way your technique should be a bit improved and you will get a clearer picture of the winning blade for you! Or maybe not... YMMV of course! :thumbup:

What a great suggestion! I will definitely do that one!

Welcome to B&B and that's a great introduction!

I completely agree about keeping a few blades in reserve from your sampler. Your technique is going to improve over the next few weeks, so you'll have a different perspective on blades when you go through them a second time.

Today's shave:

Today I learned preperation is very important. I didn't soak my brush long enough and my lather (and face) suffered. By my 2nd pass, my face and lather were both pretty dry. Now, I have a nice little cut on my chin to show for it. <LOL> Wet shaves require water - go figure! I had been not rinsing between passes, because it seemed to water down my lather too much. Perhaps I'll simply wet my face a bit in the future to keep the moisture up.

All in all a fair shave today. It's only the second one with the Persona blade. I'm still trying to figure out my neck. The bottom half (below my adams apple) seems to grow up and sideways, so to keep WTG I shave up. I don't think my angle was very good today, because I didn't have that same feeling as the blade cuts the hair that I've had in past shaves.

Until tomorrow, take care, B&B!

late post today.

Shave #3 with the Persona blade. I was more patient, and I prepped better. I am still getting some irritation on my neck, and I don't think I getting a real close shave there, but my shaves are very good on my upper neck and face.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

My neck is a pain as well it's been a few weeks for me now and I think it goes four different dang ways 2 under the chin and under the jaw 2 different ways.

I Got some mild burn today on my chin made too many passes there I guess. I missed a line of whiskers. On the jaw bone *lol* patience, presistance and practice.

Welcome to B&B! Great intro. My neck can be a challenge as well. I too have to shave up to stay WTG. I like the idea of saving a blade to go back and compare. Currently doing that now to see if I have a favorite.

Shave #4 with the Persona blade. I might be reaching the end of the line with this blade. I had a bit more irritation around the neck, but I think it's still due to my technique. I am going to give it one more shave to see if I can get a bit more out of that blade. My face and chin are in good shape, and the shave was a good one there. I have a nick on my jaw I keep opening up, but it's healing up after rubbing alum on it.

The DR Harris cream is very good. It lathers up very quickly, and a nickel-size dab is enough for three passes. I feel I need a larger brush, however. I'm using a small one I got in a sample pack of cream. Eventually, I'll buy a large one, and a lather bowl too. Currently, I am using a large coffee mug. It's not too bad, but a bowl might be more accessible.

Top Bottom