What's new

A post about my rotation of Swedish framebacks (pics)

I promised some pics of my Swedish framebacks in another thread, so here they are.
No lookers, but a good bunch of superb shavers!

I've become a huge fan of framebacks.
They are stiff enough to sever my stubborn stubble without mercy & still very easy & nimble.
And, being a Swede & hunting locally, it's hard to find bigger, stiffer grinds (my preffered grind)
But the frameback behaves like a big, stiff brute, without being it.
Like someone said, "the sportscars of straights"

Here are the ones that are in my rotation now:
(Some have been cleaned&polished since these shots were taken & the Jernbolaget obviously has new scales..

The oldest ones, with a real frame that has a blade inserted to it:
  • C.V Heljestrand - Must be one of the best razors ever made, takes an edge just as good as the MK-series, but is stiffer.
  • Eskilstuna Jernbolag - Very similar to the Helje, but shaves even smoother
proxy.php

The slightly newer ones, where there is actually a solid, flat blade with a top piece on.
The top piece somewhat stiffens the blade, but mostly it was there for the honing angle.
This model is lighter then the above:
  • Erik Anton Berg - A world class shaver. Very nice smile. ~6/8
  • F.W Söderén - Your "basic Swedish frameback" this model was made by almost every Eskilstuna maker there was. Nice shaver ~5/8
  • Eskilstuna Jernbolag - Same model as the Söderén, but shaves better. Again the steel is just so smooth, no matter how sharp it gets. ~5/8
  • C.W Dahlgren - Slightly different from the Söderén&. 4/8, so it's the smallest of the bunch. Nice shaver
proxy.php

And the faux frameback (bottom of last pic):
Not really a frameback at all, I think "shoulderless grind" is more approriate.
Anyhow, I really like this grind & this particual razor is a true beast on the whiskers.
Currently it's at Jende Industries, awating the 30K Shapton treatment

proxy.php

Last edited:
Very nice collection of framebacks. Very nice indeed. I'm yet to shave with a frameback. I've got 2 at home. One needs a small chip honing out and the other only arrived yesterday and just needs honing.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's where all the Swedish frameback went on eBay France... :lol:

nice!!!

Nice collection! If you get the chance try a Sheffield frameback. I've never done a serious comparison to the swedes but mine are nice shavers.

Nice collection! If you get the chance try a Sheffield frameback. I've never done a serious comparison to the swedes but mine are nice shavers.
I really like the Sheffield wedges, so most probably the framebacks will be nice.
But they seldom come up & when they do, they are expensive.
At least when you compare them to my Swedes, the most I've paid for one of mine is about 120 SEK (~$17)

That one looks nice!

Should make for a sweet shave :thumbup1:
If you're having trouble honing it, I'll gladly help you for free!

Wow, thanks for the offer! But, seeing as my work table is littered with straights that need honed or repaired I figure it is about time to start doing it myself. I have a bunch of stuff to practice honing on before trying the frameback. It would seem that these would be easier to hone than a wedge - is that correct?

Looks like I'm off to read Bart's site throughly again....

BTW, anyone ever heard of the manufacturer? Regardless, I'm fairly certain it has to be sheffield steel.

P.S. Jens - why did you have to tempt me once again on BST with that swedish frameback...:biggrin1:

Wow, thanks for the offer! But, seeing as my work table is littered with straights that need honed or repaired I figure it is about time to start doing it myself. I have a bunch of stuff to practice honing on before trying the frameback. It would seem that these would be easier to hone than a wedge - is that correct?

Looks like I'm off to read Bart's site throughly again....

BTW, anyone ever heard of the manufacturer? Regardless, I'm fairly certain it has to be sheffield steel.

P.S. Jens - why did you have to tempt me once again on BST with that swedish frameback...:biggrin1:

Indeed, a frameback is far easier then a wedge.
Bart's the man to hold in your hand when you want to get to now the scary world of coti.

I'll say that it's a 99% chance it's Sheffield

Tempting?
Well, our girls have always run around the world, tempting men, with their sheer apperance.
Sono it's us guys turn to do the tempting.

So it was either this or skinny dipping in a fountain :lol:

As a side note, I think the Heljestrand is even smoother then Ms Ekbergs voice :tongue_sm. And still as sharp as her curves :w00t:

Top Bottom