What's new

Is ATG necessary for BBS results?

I don't have a whole lot to add to that question. Pretty straight forward.

I currently shave WTG, and 2 XTG passes going both ways. I get acceptable results for only straight shaving for 2 or 3 weeks. ATG so far has been tricky enough for me to conclude that I need to avoid it for awhile. But I can see it would be a great skill to have.

So what do you think? Can straight BBS results only be accomplished when ATG is mastered?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think it's possible, it depends on your face/stubble... I don't think it is in my case on all spots. I don't do ATG everywhere and get BBS results most of the time.

For me the simple answer is yes.

Ok I could probably do a few tricks with scything and playing around with the angle but I can just go ATG. It takes me about 5 minutes for a two pass WTG/ATG shave. If I got fancy with a second and third WTG pass I would be in front of the bathroom mirror for 20 minutes.

My way may not be the best but it works for me.

I think it's possible, it depends on your face/stubble... I don't think it is in my case on all spots. I don't do ATG everywhere and get BBS results most of the time.

+1 I get better results when I skip the ATG passes - particularly on my cheeks. BBS without irritation. YMMV, of course.

+2. I only go ATG in a couple of spots. The rest is WTG and XTG(L) and XTG(R).

+3. My chin and mustache area need ATG to get a real BBS. Most of the time I just do a 1x WTG and 1x XTG and head out. Usually takes me 10 min. with touchups, but could take me as long as 30 min. with ATG passes. My wife hates those days =P

In my case yes. In fact, for the closest possible shave, I do two ATG passes. One with lather then, before rinsing off, another with just a wet blade. Uber-close.

The answer is "yes" for me.

Since I want a BBS before I head out to work, I use three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) on most days. On days that I don't care about a BBS (such as a Saturday at home), I do a two pass shave (WTG, XTG).

I never go for ATG, I can't do it comfortably so I am happy with a X-BBS (smooth in three out of four directions)

ATG goes good for me on my neck up until I get close to the jawline and then the blade just stops like it has a mind of it's own. It won't go any further. I don't wanna apply to much pressure so I just skip it. I try to get those hairs some other way.

And so far I haven't been successful. My chin and parts of my jawline are pretty scruffy most of the time.

For me to get a true BBS with a straight it takes perfect technique, a super sharp freshly touched up blade, and an ATG pass. I cannot achieve it very often with a straight yet, although I am still working on it. As a matter of fact, it has only happened twice since I started in March, and both with recently touched up blades. I am 100% positive it is still my technique isn't perfect since I know it can be done.

I can get a consistently good two pass DFS though, and I am happy with that most of the time.

ATG for me, too. But by the time I get to it, only a light touch is needed. I also finish (touch up in places) using ATG with water.

I agree that ATG is required for BBS. I can get a BBS shave going ATG with no irritation but a two-pass WTG/XTG shave is what I do 95% of the time. I am BBS in 3 of 4 directions.

I find that I have to do ATG for that BBS, but I do it very lightly.

I think that you'll just have to experiment around and find what works best for you. You may or may not have to do the ATG. Try different ways until you find the shave that best suits you. Remember BBS is not really necessary for a good presentable shave, and usually the only one who knows its BBS will be you. :001_rolle :w00t:

Top Bottom