What's new

Feather Artist Club DX vs. Artist Club RG

I was wondering what the difference between these two razors is? Is it just a cosmetic difference or is the shave different in some way? Thanks a ton in advance.

The DX is made out of stainless steel, while the RG is made of brass. Some people think the DX glides on the face more smoothly. Lacking a DX myself, I have no idea.

I have 2 DX's and I used to have an RG. I would have to say the the difference is pretty much cosmetic.
The Feather AC is now my only shaving system. I have used DE's and traditional straights.
I liked the concept of straight razor shaving, but I just could not afford the time or cash needed to keep a super sharp edge on my straights.
Unfortunately, I seem to have a very tough beard and not so tough skin, and my razors would have to go out for honing every 60 shaves or so.
I trying a Feather RG, and I knew fairly soon that the AC's were the right answer for me.
I used it and got more proficient with it for maybe 9 or 10 months. It was giving me the best shaves of my life and I decided that I had to have the aesthetically pleasing DX with the ebony handle. I sold my old RG, and after about a year, all but 2 of my straights and my old Futur DE were gone.
After about another year, I found that my mouse pointer kept hovering around the teak handled one and I could not convince it to stay away.
So at least, I am completely satisfied with my DX's and my shaving AD's are cured.
Please enjoy whatever you end up with.
Mike

Attachments

• $Feathers.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
The DX is the better one. It's made of stainless steel, as others have mentioned, but it's also a bit lighter and is thinner at the bottom where the blade sticks out. Since the mass of the holder is not your friend when skimming around the nooks and crannies of your face the lighter weight is good. And the thinner edge means you can use a lower angle when going against the grain, which helps make those blades a bit more forgiving, especially when shaving against the grain.

How much these advantages matter to you is a matter of personal preference; IMO if you're planning on using it regularly then the DX is worth the extra coin.

The DX is the better one. It's made of stainless steel, as others have mentioned, but it's also a bit lighter and is thinner at the bottom where the blade sticks out. Since the mass of the holder is not your friend when skimming around the nooks and crannies of your face the lighter weight is good. And the thinner edge means you can use a lower angle when going against the grain, which helps make those blades a bit more forgiving, especially when shaving against the grain.

How much these advantages matter to you is a matter of personal preference; IMO if you're planning on using it regularly then the DX is worth the extra coin.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to take your advice. I don't plan on purchasing these everyday, so I want to do it right the first time.

You'll find either Feather to be an excellent shaver. The main difference of course is one being brass and the other stainless steel. I have both, and both shave equally well. I do find the RG, the brass one, to be just a bit heavier.

I also have the Kai which is all stainless, and I find that one to be even better than the Feathers. But I do use both the Feathers and the Kai. I recently returned from a vacation, and I brought along the Feather RG for the trip.

I have 2 DX's and I used to have an RG. I would have to say the the difference is pretty much cosmetic.
The Feather AC is now my only shaving system. I have used DE's and traditional straights.
I liked the concept of straight razor shaving, but I just could not afford the time or cash needed to keep a super sharp edge on my straights.
Unfortunately, I seem to have a very tough beard and not so tough skin, and my razors would have to go out for honing every 60 shaves or so.
I trying a Feather RG, and I knew fairly soon that the AC's were the right answer for me.
I used it and got more proficient with it for maybe 9 or 10 months. It was giving me the best shaves of my life and I decided that I had to have the aesthetically pleasing DX with the ebony handle. I sold my old RG, and after about a year, all but 2 of my straights and my old Futur DE were gone.
After about another year, I found that my mouse pointer kept hovering around the teak handled one and I could not convince it to stay away.
So at least, I am completely satisfied with my DX's and my shaving AD's are cured.
Please enjoy whatever you end up with.
Mike

If you get the hang of these razors they are extremely addictive! I've been using my KAI 95% of the time this past month. I've even got a brand new Ambrose cordovan strop that I've yet to use in action:blink:

Mike, since you appear to be one of the Feather experts here: what blades are you using, and how many shaves do they last you?

Seraphim
Thanks, You could lay that expert title on Paul, as well.
I guess I am addicted to the Feather AC shave. They give me everything I want in a shave with no hassle and very reasonable cost, well, at least the blades are reasonable.
I use two types of blades. The ProGuard and the ProSuper. I know that sounds like an unlikely combination, sort of both ends of the scale without the middle.
I use the Proguard in the morning, before work. It is Odark-thirty and I am usually in a hurry. The Proguards give me a good shave without cuts, nicks or abrasions.
My beard grows fast and I usually shave before going to bed (the Mrs. likes that too).
For that I use the Supers. They give me as close to a BBS as I need, and treat my face kindly, as long as I am fully awake and paying attention.
As far as blade life, I just change them both out every Sunday (I keep Proguards is the ebony, and Supers in the Teak). I could probably squeeze a couple more shaves out of the Super, but I just like to keep it simple.
I keep a couple of my favorite straights sharpened and ready, but I seldom use them.
There is a pretty big difference in balance ( the Feathers are blade heavy) and switching back and forth requires your utmost attention, hehe.
I hope this helps,
Happy shaves,
Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom