What's new

Unsolicited Maxim Subscription via Gillette??

So I checked the mail at my other place today, and there were two "Maxim" magazines in their, July and August, with lot's of Fusion Proglide Advertising. I wonder if it has anything to do with the free ProGlide giveaway I signed up for? I know others did this as well, did the magazine show up for you as well?

BTW, I never did understand this magazine. It's like "Playboy Lite". I thumbed through it, and tried to read some of it, but....

Is it for guys to timid to buy Playboy? I don't get it. Of course, I let my subscription to Playboy run out, when the articles no longer interested me. Maybe it is just something you outgrow...like strippers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an unsolicited Maxim subscription through eHarmony (despite telling them I did NOT want any magazine whatsoever). They're pretty gracious about canceling unwanted subscriptions though (Maxim responded to my email quickly and promptly with an apology).

I don't get it either. A couple months ago there was an article in one that I received that included women's advice on how to cheat on your girlfriend/wife and not get caught.

Ridiculous crap. :blink:

BTW, I never did understand this magazine. It's like "Playboy Lite". I thumbed through it, and tried to read some of it, but...

Is it for guys to timid to buy Playboy? I don't get it. Of course, I let my subscription to Playboy run out, when the articles no longer interested me. Maybe it is just something you outgrow...like strippers.

It's horrid, and yes very much playboy light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it tries to be the magazine for the "modern, no-strings-attached" guy. I will admit that I'm not averse to tastefully-suggestive pictorials of Freida Pinto or Kaley Cuoco but I have no use for articles on "club etiquette" and "30 tips on how to beat a hangover," since I don't do clubs or drink. And every other ad seems to be for tequila or some sort of new cologne.

I think a free Maxim subscription would be great if you had a pet parakeet. Might be useful for getting the grill started, as well.

More seriously, it sounds like a desperate attempt to prop up circulation figures. The more "subscribers," the more ads cost advertisers. Ads support the magazine industry much more than paid subscriptions do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom