What's new

Is this a Gillette single ring (post 1906 model)?

I've done a bit of research but I could use some help: Would the razor in the picture be a Gillette single ring post-1906 model? There appears to be no text engraved on the handle (I believe the pre-1906s did).

How does it shave - I'm guessing pretty mild? And what does one in a good condition usually go for these days?

Are you sure that it is a Gillette? The teeth on the outer corners look too wide for a Gillette. But that could just be my monitor.

Actually I'm not sure at all but to my amateur eye it looked very much like it could be a Gillette. Supposedly it's made in Germany.

I've read some of these Gillettes were made in England and that they can be distinguished by some specific details. I don't know if there ever was a German variant, though? The box it comes in apparently doesn't read "Gillette", just "Germany".

Supposing it isn't a Gillette, were there Gillette "lookalikes" on the market at that time period (this razor dates back to pre-WWII, I suppose)? Wouldn't that mean copyright/patent infringment or something?

It doesn't surprise me to learn that it is made in Germany. I typically associate the wider teeth on the corners with Hoffritz open combs or some of the four-piece travel sets that were also made in Germany, but that lack some sort of distinct brand name. I'm not as familiar with the Gillette clones, but I don't think that the one you have is a Gillette made razor that was marketed in Germany or anything like that. Gillette would have stamped their name somewhere on the razor or on the packaging material. In addition to the wider teeth on the corners, the blade positioning posts look a little too short to be a Gillette razor.

As far as your original question about how it shaves ... I've never used that particular model. Generally speaking, open comb razors tend to be more aggressive than a solid safety bar counterpart. However, the reason I say "generally" and "tend to be" is specifically because of some four piece German travel razors that I've used. Both were open combs and incredibly mild shavers. So, while open combs may tend to be more aggressive, it's hard to say how that one will perform. Give it a try and report back.

OK, thanks! It isn't a Gillette then (I thought it strange anyhow that Gillette would sell anything without their name stamped somewhere).

Just a few more questions that I'm at a loss with (newb confusion!):

1) What should I be expecting quality-wise given that it's not a Gillette?
2) What about the market value given that it's not a Gillette? I would suspect it should go for a lot less - this one is starting at 10 euros and it is supposedly "unused/like new"
3) Is that brassing showing on the handle? Does it look like it could be polished? (I've never dealt with vintage razors so I really can't tell)

Generally speaking, open comb razors tend to be more aggressive than a solid safety bar counterpart.

I can't agree with that statement. Comb has nothing to do with aggressiveness. It might FEEL that way because with an open comb you actually feel the comb as opposed the closed comb style but two razors with identical blade gap and identical heads with the exception of comb open or closed will have the same aggressiveness every time.

Here's a clone made by Wardonia, one of their rare all metal razors. The knurling on the handle seems to be very mild. It's a very beautiful razor actually.:thumbup1:

Here's my Single Ring clone:

proxy.php

It disassembles as a genuine Single Ring does. The handle's barrel is permanently attached to the head's lower plate, while the top cap has a long threaded stud that fastens to the inner handle and knob. The razor has no markings whatsoever.

-Clarke

Top Bottom