What's new

First DE Shave in the Morning

Just a n00b checking in. For nearly a decade, I shaved with a Norelco electric razor and became increasingly dissatisfied with the experience. About 3 weeks ago, I picked up a Mach3 razor and a can'o'goop. The experience wasn't much better than the electric.

Somehow, I happened upon this forum and mantic's Youtube videos. After reading, watching, and learning, I purchased:
  • Merkur HD
  • Taylor Avocado cream
  • some Derby blades
  • a low end Vulfix badger brush

For the past week, I've been practicing making the lather and trying out multi-pass/beard reduction with the Mach3. In the morning, I'm gonna switch over to the Merkur (after breakfast, a cup of fresh Peet's, and a nice shower).

Here's to hoping I don't cut myself up too badly! Wish me luck.

Best of luck, and welcome to our world. Just keep repeating to yourself "Proper angle, no pressure". It seems lame, but it actually works. You'll catch yourself trying to press the blade in to your face.

Welcome to B&B and good luck with your first DE shave!

Relax, take it easy, and remember - no pressure. That's about the most difficult thing to unlearn from cartridge shaving.

Nice starter kit. Just got round to trying the Avocado myself, pretty good cream to learn with I'd think.

A sampler pack of blades is in order. Derby's are popular, but I found them dull. Blades are entirely subjective.

Good move to get the hang of good lather first, it'll start you off well.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Unless you think the blades could be better, stick to the Derbys. Otherwise, grab a razor blade sample pack.

Welcome. You picked up a good kit to begin with and I wish you luck. In a month you'll be amazed how good your skin looks and feels.

Welcome!
Looks like a good setup. Everything you used before needed pressure applied to the face to work. You will find DE shaving entirely different. Good luck and keep us posted.

R

rodeo

Yup, you won't know what you like better until you try other blades. Get yourself a sampler pack (i.e. www.westcoastshaving.com) and after a few weeks of getting your technique down, start trying other blades. I suggest you also try the gillette blades, green,yellow, black boxed.

Welcome to the B&B and Good Luck with your first shave! It'll go fine..:thumbup1:

From one FNG to another, best of luck! Actually, not luck. Just remember, when these experienced guys tell you "no pressure," they literally mean "no pressure." Having a hard time keeping that in mind, here!

Let us know how it goes!

Whee, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] DE shave in the bag!

No major cuts or nicks. I had a small weeper that I fixed right up with my Col. Conk styptic pencil.

I had been telling myself "no pressure, no pressure" over and over again all morning. I used so little pressure the first time around that I don't think I shaved anything off at all. But, it was good blade angle practice. The second pass was much better.

In total, I went for three straight down passes and ended with a CCS. Okay for my first time?

Welcome!
Looks like a good setup. Everything you used before needed pressure applied to the face to work. You will find DE shaving entirely different. Good luck and keep us posted.

Though, admittedly, using pressure does serve a purpose. It flattens out and tightens skin, which can lead to a closer shave. And a razor-blade sized gash :biggrin1:

Whee, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] DE shave in the bag!

No major cuts or nicks. I had a small weeper that I fixed right up with my Col. Conk styptic pencil.

I had been telling myself "no pressure, no pressure" over and over again all morning. I used so little pressure the first time around that I don't think I shaved anything off at all. But, it was good blade angle practice. The second pass was much better.

In total, I went for three straight down passes and ended with a CCS. Okay for my first time?

If you still have all the skin on your face and you look socially acceptable, you did well for your first encounter with a safety razor :thumbup1:

If you still have all the skin on your face and you look socially acceptable, you did well for your first encounter with a safety razor :thumbup1:

Heh heh. I've still got my skin.

Just quickly, I wanted to note how friendly and welcoming you all have been. Thanks!

Top Bottom