What's new

Shave with Ivory bar soap challenge...

A little bit of Williams in my life,

Makes old Seraphim get real snide.

A little bit of Williams is all I need,

If I post about it John will see.

A little post about it just in fun,

You'd think those VDH guys would have me hung.

At least there's one thing where we agree,

Using Ivory soap is a bit crazy!!!!!!!!

Williams number five!

Since a few of you guys have been talking about them in this thread, what is a 'detergent soap'. I'm guessing you mean one with Sodium Lauryl Sulphate added? Wouldn't it still need to be soap even if they did add that? I mean the 'solidness' of soap comes from the saponification of oils / fats right?

I'm just curious as I've heard people talk about it a few times and what to know what they mean by it.

I'm no expert, but the idea of "soap" is a chemical concept the meaning of which is saponified fats. There are lots of things sold as "soap" that don't have any saponified fats in them; ergo, they are not soap. These products are mostly detergents. Sodium lauryl sulfate is just one of a number of additives that are foaming agents and detergents.

I don't know why I hate it like like I do
All the changes takeovers put it through
Takes my lather, I swear like I've got Tourettes
I haven't seen the worst of it yet
I wanna know, can you tell me
I'd really like to stay

Take it to the trashcan
Drop it in the garbage
Take it to the trashcan
Drop it in the garbage
Washing me down, washing me down

I don't know why you treat me so bad
Think of all the things we could have had
Treat with some lotion but I can't forget
Going back to TABAC I will never regret

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjT71N4PGM[/YOUTUBE]

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When I was a child, I got Ivory soap in my eyes and it burned like hell and is certainly the root cause of all my psychological problems. I did like that it floated though but I can't seem to get it to float in the shower.

It's the simple things that get you all screwed up; like all those Williams bashers that are mental cases because they came across a soap they can't make work and they have to use all those flowery ***** soaps from Europe that are most likely causing the spread of Communism.

Many contend the country began losing its American values after JFK was shot but I believe it was when they turned away from Williams in favor of those fancy pancy commie soaps.

When I was a child, I got Ivory soap in my eyes and it burned like hell and is certainly the root cause of all my psychological problems. I did like that it floated though but I can't seem to get it to float in the shower.

It's the simple things that get you all screwed up; like all those Williams bashers that are mental cases because they came across a soap they can't make work and they have to use all those flowery ***** soaps from Europe that are most likely causing the spread of Communism.

Many contend the country began losing its American values after JFK was shot but I believe it was when they turned away from Williams in favor of those fancy pancy commie soaps.

NewsFlash:

The Williams Company was taken over by Communists in 2002 (Combe- pronounced Comm-be, not very subtle, is it? But that's the way a hard core commie mind works...)

Next up: floridation of our bodily fluids!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4XhhTF7vRM[/YOUTUBE]

+2 :thumbup: Can I have your stuff when they kill you?

I often compare Williams to something else that floats...

This officially takes the cake as my favorite B&B post to date. Congratulations. You get a puck of Williams! Where should I paypal the $1.87?

I'm no expert, but the idea of "soap" is a chemical concept the meaning of which is saponified fats. There are lots of things sold as "soap" that don't have any saponified fats in them; ergo, they are not soap. These products are mostly detergents. Sodium lauryl sulfate is just one of a number of additives that are foaming agents and detergents.

Strange I looked for a good while and could find none. Every bar of soap had at least 1 saponified oil in it.

Edit: I'm looking at soaps sold in the UK, maybe it is more common in the USA?

Last edited:
I used to use Ivory to shave with all the time and occasionally still do when I shave in the shower with a disposable. Worked perfectly fine, I don't see what the issue is - you'd use it to wash your face afterall.

H

I used to use Ivory to shave with all the time and occasionally still do when I shave in the shower with a disposable. Worked perfectly fine, I don't see what the issue is - you'd use it to wash your face afterall.

H

Electric razors work fine.

Gillette Mach 5's work fine

Goo in a can works fine.

I think the members of B&B deserve better than just "fine".*

EDIT:
*Except for TopGumby, "fine" is just what he deserves! :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Strange I looked for a good while and could find none. Every bar of soap had at least 1 saponified oil in it.

Edit: I'm looking at soaps sold in the UK, maybe it is more common in the USA?

You're looking at bar soaps. In the USA, most people use liquid "soaps," especially for washing the hands. Many of those are detergents and fillers only.

You're looking at bar soaps. In the USA, most people use liquid "soaps," especially for washing the hands. Many of those are detergents and fillers only.

Nyet! I refuse to use liquid soaps - the bottle one more non-biodegradable thing to end up in a landfill. I prefer Lava bar soap for hands, and whatever is on sale for shower soap, usually Irish Spring. I don't think Lava would shave all that well...

After reading this thread, I was curious as to just how good or bad Ivory soap was to shave with. So as a scientific experiment, and to take one for the team I shaved this morning with Ivory soap.

I put a small Ivory soap bar remnant in my lathering bowl and used my VDH boar brush. It did indeed mix up a great lather. Although initially I used too much water and received a too-thin lather. So I dumped out most of the water and started again. The lather this time was fine. After doing some face-lathering I had quite a lather mop going there.

Shaving was good but not phenomenal. The lather is slick but doesn't last all that long. I found myself re-lathering each face quadrant again just prior to shaving that area. That wasn't a big problem. The drying issue posted about didn't seem to be an issue for me.

My overall assessment is... It will do in a pinch but regular shaving soap works better.

I look at it as no different than trying out any new shaving soap. No harm, no foul. And it certainly didn't cost me anything to try.

Top Bottom