What's new

Shave with Ivory bar soap challenge...

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I derive a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that I could get get along with minimal supplies, in a worst case scenario. I've shaved with things other than a proper soap or cream in a pinch, however I would never do just for the sake of being minimalistic.

Life is too short to shave with anything but the best soap you can find.

+1,000,000

I don't get people who torture themselves with Ivory or Williams. The most expensive soaps cost pennies (ok, maybe nickels) a day, and stuff like Cade can be had for $10.00. Great soap is really cheap, and infinitely better that cheap junk. Look at the BST and you can get some amazing deals.

I just don't get it. :mellow:

Ok, forgot to ask, but is it glycerin or tallow? Both have been stated above I believe.

BTW....Ivory soap floats. Great for camping if you wnat to bath in a creek. :biggrin1:

Original Ivory contained no glycerin, and it floated. Current Ivory has glycerin added, and does not float as well as it used to. I got all this from the Wiki page on it. The ingredient list for the current product still begins with sodium tallowate, so it is a tallow soap, not a detergent.

I am not going to shave with it, but am going to buy some for general use. Ivory used to be criticized as a bit harsh, so P&G added the glycerin.

Haven't used Ivory in some time. (Camping trip, I think.) I remember it used to dry out my face.

But I'm tough and used it anyway.

Ive shaved with Ivory. Good enough to get a shave but nothing special. I find Dove works well in a pinch also as does any number of better hotel face soaps. their lathers tend to disapate fairly quickly but like I said, In a pinch....
:thumbup1:

It can be done, in the same sense that you can teach a dog to walk on it's hind legs.

I've shaved with bar soap, a disposable and some water before, and it's doable but not desirable. Now that my days afield are done, I can't see why I'd do it again.

It's all about what you are comfortable with, really. If a guy out there needs the finest, so be it. If another gets a charge out of shaving with Ivory or Zote, more power to him. The guys out there who just don't get along with the humble Williams are entitled to revile it, even as I am entitled to take satisfaction from making it perform just fine, thank you.

Different soaps for different folks...

Since a few of you guys have been talking about them in this thread, what is a 'detergent soap'. I'm guessing you mean one with Sodium Lauryl Sulphate added? Wouldn't it still need to be soap even if they did add that? I mean the 'solidness' of soap comes from the saponification of oils / fats right?

I'm just curious as I've heard people talk about it a few times and what to know what they mean by it.

I think that it's interesting that people are willing to experiment like this. Like TopGumby, I've shaved with soap before and I don't want to do it again. As far as an emergency goes, I'd have to be in some kind of Bourne-like situation where I have to shave in order to escape with my life, and I can't imagine what that would be. My stockpile of soap will probably outlast me. I always travel with a couple. If I would find myself somewhere without even access to a humble puck of Williams or a can of Barbisol, I'd make do with something from the shaving shelf before I went back to the bar of soap on the bathroom sink. Or just not shave. We could probably start a threat about field expedient razors too, but that's kind of scary.

Ivory is animal fat based soap, most likely tallow. Glycerin is a by product of the process called saponification. This is the process by which sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide convert fats and oil into soap. Commercial soap makers have worked out a way to remove the glycerin from the soap. The soap is then milled, perfumed, extruded and stamped into bars. Great soap no doubt, but free from glycerin. Shaving soap makers may well leave the glycerin in the soap, I don't know. Ivory has none of the factors that we would look for in a good shave soap. I would use Ivory to wash the carcass, but not to shave the face with.

Done it - against my will, but I was traveling and forgot the good stuff. It works, but dries my face badly. I wouldn't do it willingly again. But in a pinch I suppose it's better than nothing. Not as good as Williams, that's for sure!

There. That should kick start this thread. :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Done it - against my will, but I was traveling and forgot the good stuff. It works, but dries my face badly. I wouldn't do it willingly again. But in a pinch I suppose it's better than nothing.
Not as good as Williams, that's for sure!
There. That should kick start this thread. :)

That's like saying Betelgeuse 3 times.

Cue Seraphim and John in 5.. 4.. 3.....

:lol:

Top Bottom