What's new

Gillette 7'0 Clock Super Platinum

First shave today with the Gillette 7'0 Clock Super Platinum, also known as the India black Gillette. All I can say is wow. I thought I had finally narrowed my blades down to the Iridium, Astra platinum, and Crystal +. Today's shave has made me reevaluate everything.

I used a 1940's undated SS with VDH soap coupled with a shot of KMF lavender and my usual preshave prep. I ended up with a smooth irritation free BBS in 3 &1/2 passes. I have to take an extra 1/2 pass for the jaw line and my chin. The post shave was my usual alum block, cool water rinse followed by Thayer's aloe vera witch hazel. Splash was SCS Mediterranean Citrus. This was my best shave yet after 4&1/2 months back to DE shaving.

I think I am going to sell all of my Astras and red IP's and load up on these and the Iridiums. This blade has absolutely taken me by surprise. Can't wait to try it in my Progress.

I agree. I just got my blade pack from Beyboo. I had settled into UK Wilks and stocked up (cause they were my go to blade). But that road was a long and trying process.

To put things into perspective I have tried the following...
-Derbys
-Crystal
-Israelis
-Lord Stainless
-Lord Platinum
-Feathers
-Merkurs
-German Wilks
-UK NOS Wilks

For me all these didnt work on cutting my thick beard (Feathers did the job, but are too expensive for my teacher salary). Only the thick NOS UK Wilks did the job. But after trying Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades... it is making me re-evaluate my whole shaving experience. These blades are superior to anything else I tried. They even seem as sharp as feathers (but a fraction of the price). I was near BBS on 1 pass with Merkur HD.

I plan on buying some more, cause I have found my shaving Nirvana. :closedeye

+1

I have absolutely fallen in love with 7'oclock Blacks! Like you, I also shave with a 1940's No Date Code, so I'm sure our experiences are similar.

R

rodeo

I've got some coming and should be here soon. I have been using the Greens and today tried a yellow which was maybe only slightly sharper IMO but I'm hoping either the black or maybe feathers will work better. I'm also going to try another razor soon too (adjustable) to see if I dial it up a notch if I like that better. I'm getting great shaves right now but still want to see if that can be improved any.

To put things into perspective I have tried the following...
-Derbys
-Crystal
-Israelis
-Lord Stainless
-Lord Platinum
-Feathers
-Merkurs
-German Wilks
-UK NOS Wilks

I plan on buying some more, cause I have found my shaving Nirvana. :closedeye

Like you, I have gone through a variety of razor blades as follows:

Sharps-NOT
Astra Platinum
Astra Super stainless
Shark Chrome
Shark stainless
Israeli red pack
Israeli Crystal +
Merkur
Feather
Gillette 7 a.m. (not 7'0 clock). These are from Bangladesh, and not sharp
Gillette 7'0 clock yellow-"Russian Yellows"
Iridium

All of these blades have been used through at least a 5 pack and mostly in a Progress razor. Right now, these Indian blacks are leading the pack, although the Iridiums are neck and neck. I still have a pack of Gillette Nacets to try out, and I may pick up a pack of Bluebirds, Gillette 7'0 clock greens and Kais in order to round out my experimentation. However, right now, I can easily see the Indian blacks in the superspeed as being my daily combo. of choice, with the Iridiums thrown in to mix up the rotation. At some point I will order a lot of these Indian blacks, they are that good. As usual, YMMV.

After reading this thread, I popped a 7am in to my open comb news and gave it a whirl. It gave a fantastic shave. Then I realized that a 7am is a gillette 7 o'clock knockoff. But it worked pretty damn well anyway.

After reading this thread, I popped a 7am in to my open comb news and gave it a whirl. It gave a fantastic shave. Then I realized that a 7am is a gillette 7 o'clock knockoff. But it worked pretty damn well anyway.
It's good that you got great results from the 7am blades. I couldn't get a nice shave from these blades no matter how hard I tried.

I just had my first shave with a black 7 and it handled my weekend growth with no problem. Let's see how it does on subsequent shaves.

So far, I like the India green 7s a lot, but haven't had great results with the yellow 7s.

I'd love to try a pack of these, anybody want to trade?
I've got:
Super Iridium
Astra SP
Gillette Super Thin
Lord Super Stainless

I shaved a second time with the black 7 today. This is a very impressive blade. It gave me a pain-free BBS again.

R

rodeo

So far, I really like the black Gillette Super Platinums, but really dislike the Yellow Sharp Edge platinums.

After trying my first "black" Gillette just today, I feel just the opposite. I'm thinking I liked the Yellow much more. The Yellow also lasted longer for me too versus the Green and were definitely sharper. The Black seemed to pull at times and felt less sharp to me. Of course, that was only one shave so further testing needs to be done but right now, the Yellow SharpEdge is looking pretty good.

The 7 O'Clock Super Platinums have provided the smoothest shave for me so far, and they are certainly sharp enough to get the job done. I get three good shaves out of them. After that, they are unusable.

This morning, I tried a 7 O'Clock Permasharp and I was very impressed with it. I put it in my most aggressive razor in place of a Feather, which is a bit too aggressive a combination for my liking.

I also have a packet of 7 O'Clock Sharp Edges that I am going to try soon.

Definitely a case of YMMV. I love the 7'oclock Yellows, but find the 7'oclock Blacks to be just a bit smoother on my face. Don't like the green ones at all.

After trying my first "black" Gillette just today, I feel just the opposite. I'm thinking I liked the Yellow much more. The Yellow also lasted longer for me too versus the Green and were definitely sharper. The Black seemed to pull at times and felt less sharp to me. Of course, that was only one shave so further testing needs to be done but right now, the Yellow SharpEdge is looking pretty good.

R

rodeo

Definitely a case of YMMV. I love the 7'oclock Yellows, but find the 7'oclock Blacks to be just a bit smoother on my face. Don't like the green ones at all.

You're right on. YMMV.

The yellow SharpEdge blades seem to give me more mileage too, whereas the green didn't. Shaved twice with the black now and may give that blade a third chance today. It's not bad mind you, just don't think its better then the yellows for me and I was very happy using the yellows. More blades stil to try though..

This post is a bit late, but I did my third shave with a black 7 a couple of days ago and it was a steep decline from the first two. Irritation and more than one weeper.

I'll try another one of these next week to see if the result improves. I'd like to get at least three good shaves from these.

Finally got to try on this morning, thanks to those who helped! VERY good blade for me, smooth but not TOO sharp. It beats the Yellow blade, which was sharper, but harsher as well. This is going into my "top 3" along with Super Iridium and Astra SP.

Finally got to try on this morning, thanks to those who helped! VERY good blade for me, smooth but not TOO sharp. It beats the Yellow blade, which was sharper, but harsher as well. This is going into my "top 3" along with Super Iridium and Astra SP.

I tried a 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge this morning. I found it to be very sharp and very smooth as well. A very nice blade.

So far, I like all of the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades I have tried (Super Platinum, Permasharp and Sharp Edge). The only other blade I like so far is a Feather, although it can be a bit rough depending on which razor I use.

Next on my 'to try' list are Astra, Iridium, Bic and Trig.

Top Bottom