What's new

sharpening pocket knives

gents...

what do you use for sharpening your pocket knives? i have recently picked up a few spyderco knives and wish to keep them sharp. i have zero knowledge about keeping these things sharp. i am considering the spyderco sharpmaker but don't want to get in over my head.

thanks!

s~s

I have the Spyderco sharpmaker and it works pretty well. I usually just use some ceramic croksticks for touchups.

A Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker works pretty well but its one big drawback is that you can't thin the blade with it. The only thing you can do is sharpen the very edge of the blade. The more you sharpen, the more the blade thickens as it moves up. Take a look at this page from Chad Ward:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

It outlines most of the common ways to sharpen. The article is written mainly toward kitchen knives, but it is applicable to all knives and pocket knives will be easier to sharpen because they are shorter. If I had to learn from scratch, I would learn on a stone.

Dennis

The Sharpmaker is pretty foolproof if you take the time to watch the video and/or booklet. In my mind, the Sharpmaker is a great "keep 'em sharp" gizmo but the key is not letting your new Spydercos get dull in the first place.

Also, as many Spyderco blades are serrated, you can sharpen them with the Spyderco white stones.

If you truly wish to learn the art of sharpening, you'll learn how to do it freehand with stones. Also, the best product on the market IMHO, albeit expensive, is the Edge Pro Apex.

As it sounds as though you are just getting into knives, and Spyderco are great knives with wickedly sharp edges, my advice would be to get the Sharpmaker.

As you may have just started down the nasty slippery slope to becoming a KnifeKnut, you may wish to visit : http://www.bladeforums.com/

Check this web site out.
www.accusharp.com
I got mine at the Ace hardware store. I also use the Spyderco tri-angle sharpening kit but the accusharp is the fastest & is very portable; especially when camping. it is made in the USA.

Spyderco ALL the way. They make the best and easiest sharpening set there is. I use it on my pocketknives AND kitchen knives all the time and test them by shaving my arm. It will easily do the job. I wouldn't even look elsewhere.

to be honest, i am on the fence between the lansky and sharpmaker. i currenly have the delica 4, the cara cara is on the way in and the lava will be ordered by the end of the week. some of these spyderco knives, while being very cool, are also fairly expensive. as i had mentioned, i want to keep my investments in tip-top sahpe.

thanks all! if anyone else has feedback, please chime in.

s~s

I had a Lansky 3 piece stone kit & they sure take alot longer to sharpen with than the Spyderco tri-angle sharpening kit.
If you do get the Lansky kit, I suggest getting the diamond stone kit. It's alot easier to cut yourself with a stone kit using than the Spyderco! (But you have the advantage of what type of edge to put on each blade.)
The natural stone kit is a bit messy & you have to use oil & paper towels or rags.
The Spyderco is the best one I have used & I also have 4 Spyderco knives. I even use the Spyderco to sharpen my kitchen knives. (Wusthof Classic)
The Delica with the plain edge & the metal clip is my favorite knife.

Back when I used to have a very large collection, I had a Lansky setup...those things are marvelous.

Now, I just use a whetstone...and ignore the serrations on my only serrated edge knife (Gerber Paraframe).

Even my steak knives are plainedge for a reason...I keep them wicked sharp, so serrations are not needed....they slice through anything you may wnat to cut through on a steak like it was butter.

Again, it is much easier to keep a sharp knife sharp (and your Spydies will come exceptionally sharp) than to sharpen a dull knife that has lost its edge. I think that you should invest in the Sharpmaker and just use it to keep the knives sharp.

IMHO, a Sharpmaker is not very effective in trying to thin a blade and grind in a new edge. That is where you either use stones and freehand or invest in an Edge Pro (somewhat same concept as the Lansky, yet far superior and vastly more expensive).

I know from experience, as you could shave with most of the knives that you would find in my house. I use and Edge Pro PRO (the Apex version will work just as well) or I get rambunctious and freehand with Japanese Waterstones.

to be honest, i am on the fence between the lansky and sharpmaker.

I have the Sharpmaker. It is easy to use and stores into a nice compact case when not in use. I'm happy with it.

It does a good job on pocket knives. I've found that larger kitchen knives are harder to sharpen on the Sharpmaker. It is not as easy for me to keep a good, consistent angle across the stroke with larger blades.

When I add to my sharpening arsenal, I'll probably buy the Edge Pro Apex. It is more expensive than the Sharpmaker, but I believe it would be easier to sharpen kitchen knives, because the sharpening angle is fixed and the knife isn't moving.

Top Bottom