What's new

Introduction and Question

Z

Zzrayz

Hi,

I just heard about a bunch of people doing some crazy old fashioned style shaving a few weeks ago on another forum I visit and decided to try it out. They all referenced this site as "the site for wet shaving". So I have been doing some reading here.

I ordered the hardware and gave wet shaving a shot last weekend. There is definitely a learning curve. Yesterday I got that shave where things started to click. I think I got my angle pretty close and it went well. It wasn't perfect but it made me think 'I can really do this'.

I bought a blade sampler pack but I have read here that sometimes changing too many things up too fast can cause problems. I have been using the same blade all week but it is getting to be time to change it.

So here's my question(s): Do I switch to another brand to try to find MY blade or do I stick with the same brand and refine my technique?
I am not unhappy with what I have been using but I don't really have a frame of reference as to what a blade that feels great to me is. Should I start mixing it up? What is a reasonable time frame for trying different blades for a newbie?

Welcome to B&B!

I would stick with the same make of blade until you feel you won't learn anything more from it.

Welcome to the B&B. I wouldn't change too many variables until you refine your technique. Unless you are getting really bad shaves and the blade clearly isn't cutting it (pun intended), don't switch to another blade. A typical package should last you nearly a month, at which point you'll know if the blade is acceptable or not to you and you can move on to the next blade brand. It can take number of months for you to get comfortable and it's possible that a blade that was not good to you before actually shaves quite well later on.

Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Unless the blade is cutting up your skin, stick with it until you get your technique down. This may mean settling for less-than-desirable shaves (as in not BBS). After a month or so, start switching blades.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

+1 to the above, unless you are experiencing something that makes you think the blade isn't sharp enough, keep the same brand.

I usually kept the same blade for ~3 shaves and I did 3 passes. Then I changed. If the blade is pulling or tugging, change it.

R

rodeo

But once you do start changing blades, you might know on that first shave if you like the new blade better or worse then the old one. if it's just similar, you might shave all week with it or you might move on and plan to come back to it at another time in your trial and try it again. After a while, you should be able to move through blades pretty quickly and know if you like them or not.

Welcome to the B&B from New Jersey! :thumbup1:

Personally, I have been trying a different razor each time I change mine out (I have been averaging 3 shaves per razor, but I have a pretty thick beard). I will say that I have been holding off on the Gillette Yellows and the Feathers until I felt truly comfortable with my shaving technique (I finally got my first perfect lather yesterday and that was a HUGE help). So far I haven't found any that I am in love with (I suspect it will be the Feathers once I get to them), but have found one that I absolutely hated.

I would rather set my beard on fire than shave with another Dorco 300. The Dorco 301 was fine for me.

I say go with whatever makes you feel comfortable.

I know I'm going against the norm here but I'd have to say that a blade sampler pack could make a huge difference.

I first started shaving with Merkur blades which dragged and cut my face up something nasty. I thought I had terrible technique as I kept getting cuts and razorburn. I ended up ordering a sample pack and found that it was not so much my technique, but rather the blades were just not for me. After finding a smoother blade, the good shaves came.

Welcome!

Welcome aboard! +1 on checking out different blades. My first DE blade was the Merkur that came with my HD - not so hot. Then Derby - OK but that was all. Then a Red Pack IP - AHA! Smooth,and close. Look around and you'll find your go to blade too.

Top Bottom