What's new

Not sure what to think here

I made a trade with a member on this site and received his brush in the mail today. When we discussed the trade he mentioned it was a custom brush but wasn't sure what the type was but he suspected silvertip. Upon first impression of the brush the tips were VERY soft. I was very excited to come home and try it and that's where things went a bit weird. The brush was very abrasive. So much so that I had to run to grab another brush to compare. I broke out a Super Badger and soaped it up and it was softer which I thought was weird. So my question is, what could this type of hair be? Dry the tips are very soft but soaped up and wet, it's almost too much to handle.

I am told that when a brush's loft is machine trimmed, even a very soft haired brush, it develops a very uncomfortable prickly quality. Perhaps this is what happened here?

I am told that when a brush's loft is machine trimmed, even a very soft haired brush, it develops a very uncomfortable prickly quality. Perhaps this is what happened here?

Could be. That would make sense. I'm hoping that's not the case however and it's more a matter of needing some breaking in or something along those lines.

A picture would get you some clearer answers.

Here it is

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Is the brush brand new? Does it smell funky a bit?

No, that's the first thing I checked. It smelled like some sort of cream or soap, which I know isn't good for me as it's possible that it's already broken in and the brush is how it will forever be.

Luc

Staff member
No, that's the first thing I checked. It smelled like some sort of cream or soap, which I know isn't good for me as it's possible that it's already broken in and the brush is how it will forever be.

Well, you got 2 options from here (more actually but this is what I would do)...

1-Try to work on the brush like a new brush and break it (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139297)

2-De-knot and re-knot with a silvertip from TGN...

It's a copy of a Shavemac #177 handle. If some independent brush maker in the US made it, it's probably a TGN or similar knot. Did the seller say who made the brush?

-Andy

Last edited:
Well, you got 2 options from here (more actually but this is what I would do)...

1-Try to work on the brush like a new brush and break it (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139297)

2-De-knot and re-knot with a silvertip from TGN...

I've had it sitting in some cream since the shave. I rinsed it to take the picture and it's back in there now. I've messaged the original owner to try to get more info but nothing yet. It's a very odd brush as due to it's prickly state I could see it being some sort of badger or best badger but the tips are incredibly soft which leads me away.

It's a copy of a Shavemac #177 handle. I can't believe someone would copy an iconic handle design like that. If some independent brush maker in the US made it, it's either a TGN or similar knot. Did the seller say who made the brush?

-Andy

Negative. I should have asked but this was my first trade on here and my ignorance may have got the best of me here.

So I just received a message from the original owner who basically said "I told you so." He's saying that he said the brush had backbone, but this is more than just a lot of backbone. However, he did say he only tried it twice which means there is some hope for it to break in a bit.

So I just received a message from the original owner who basically said "I told you so." He's saying that he said the brush had backbone, but this is more than just a lot of backbone. However, he did say he only tried it twice which means there is some hope for it to break in a bit.

Do the hair tips come to a fine point, or are they squared off, as if they've been cut with scissors? If the hair hasn't been trimmed, it may lighten up after a while. Ambrose described a break-in procedure that may help you out.

-Andy

Do the hair tips come to a fine point, or are they squared off, as if they've been cut with scissors? If the hair hasn't been trimmed, it may lighten up after a while. Ambrose described a break-in procedure that may help you out.

-Andy

They aren't cut. The break in process is under way.

Looks like a QED Select brush in Best to me.
I even had that same brush model, and found it to be very prickly.

proxy.php

attachment.php

Luc

Staff member
They aren't cut. The break in process is under way.

Let the breaking process continue and you might need a few days to make sure it works well. If it's still not to your liking, just get another knot from TGN and re-knot the brush...

Justinsane,

Dat's an ugly dog. Has it been eating chickens?
Oog.

It's actually a very angry badger who just finished eating something.

Looks like a QED Select brush in Best to me.
I even had that same brush model, and found it to be very prickly.

proxy.php

attachment.php

I'm not sure what it is. I would agree with you outside of the fact that the tips are some of the softest I've ever felt.

Top Bottom