What's new

Not sure what to think here

Well if your still not satisfied after the break in attempt you can always BST it for a different brush, someone would probably love the prickliness....different strokes for different folks.

Well if your still not satisfied after the break in attempt you can always BST it for a different brush, someone would probably love the prickliness....different strokes for different folks.

Personally I like the scratchy feeling. I had an AOS brush that I've since gifted off that had the feeling you describe. Felt good and exfoliating.

Is the brush brand new? Does it smell funky a bit?

No it doesn't. Has been used less that 10 times.

No, that's the first thing I checked. It smelled like some sort of cream or soap, which I know isn't good for me as it's possible that it's already broken in and the brush is how it will forever be.

I have cleaned the brush carefully. I have used the vinegar method because I don't like Borax. See in the follwing video. I added pure glycerin and a air conditioner.

http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm

After that I have made lather with TABAC soap, Cella and Proraso finally because I thought is the best soap to give a good scent to the shaving brushes.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No it doesn't. Has been used less that 10 times.

I have cleaned the brush carefully for you. I have used the vinegar method because I don't like Borax. You can see in the follwing video. I added pure gliceryn and a air

http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm

After that I have made lather with TABAC soap, Cella and Proraso finally because I thought is the best soap to give a good scent to the shaving brushes.

It most likely needs to be broken... A few soakings with dishsoap + a few bowls of lather, it should be fine and non-picky!

Looks like a QED Select brush in Best to me.
I even had that same brush model, and found it to be very prickly.

proxy.php

attachment.php

Brush's specs (my own measurements, maybe not so precise but very similar to the reality):

Overall height: 10 cm - 3,94 inches
Handle height: 50mm - 1,97 inches
Bristle height: 50mm - 1,97 inches
Knot size: 22/23mm - 0,86/0,90 inches
Loft size: 55mm - 2,16 inches
Handle diameter: 35mm - 1,38 inches
Weight: 70gr - 2,47 oz

Is the softer hair I have trayed, and is the denser brush I had. It has a very good backbone, too much for me, I prefer floppier brushes. That's the reason to trade. Any shedding issue.

A picture would get you some clearer answers.

Some pics comparing with other silvertip brushes I own. I hope it helps:

Left to rigth: Rooney 1/1, Kim Son, Semogue 730HD and the brush.

proxy.php

Density:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Comparing with Kim Son:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

With Semogue 730HD, more dense that the regular Semogue 730 silvertip:

proxy.php

proxy.php

So I just received a message from the original owner who basically said "I told you so." He's saying that he said the brush had backbone, but this is more than just a lot of backbone. However, he did say he only tried it twice which means there is some hope for it to break in a bit.

Talking about the backbone, simply is very dense with a short knot (5 cm.). For me a very dense knot + short hair = a lot of backbone.

That is the only think I don't like of the brush, to much backbone for me, I prefer flopiers brushes. I have seen how the american fellas likes the "backboned" brushes, then I suposed that the brush will be Ok for a trade.

Last edited:
Personally I like the scratchy feeling. I had an AOS brush that I've since gifted off that had the feeling you describe. Felt good and exfoliating.
I think this kind of issues are based in very subjective feelings. The best brush for you can be the worse for me. That's all.

It most likely needs to be broken... A few soakings with dishsoap + a few bowls of lather, it should be fine and non-picky!

I was under the impression that the dish soap part of things was for the removal of any funky smells. Should I still be doing that step even if the brush doesn't have a smell?

I was under the impression that the dish soap part of things was for the removal of any funky smells. Should I still be doing that step even if the brush doesn't have a smell?

No, a brush will break in with normal use. After all, what are you using to shave with? Soap!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

No, a brush will break in with normal use. After all, what are you using to shave with? Soap!

+1

Dishsoap is the first step.

For the picky bit, soak and make some lather. Discard the lather and make some more. It will be better eventually.

I love the prickiness of a new badger brush (pure and best are the only ones I've tried). That prickiness goes away (forever) after a few uses. That stage (to me) is very enjoyable.

After the prickiness is gone....... an even more enjoyable stage begins.

Was it confirmed that the original owner bought it from QED? or is it a knot from TGN.

Also, what brushes does the OP own? If you are comparing it to a Simsons 2 band or Rooneys Finest or some higher grade of hair than you will not be satisfied.

Top Bottom