Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to think here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Not sure what to think here

I made a trade with a member on this site and received his brush in the mail today. When we discussed the trade he mentioned it was a custom brush but wasn't sure what the type was but he suspected silvertip. Upon first impression of the brush the tips were VERY soft. I was very excited to come home and try it and that's where things went a bit weird. The brush was very abrasive. So much so that I had to run to grab another brush to compare. I broke out a Super Badger and soaped it up and it was softer which I thought was weird. So my question is, what could this type of hair be? Dry the tips are very soft but soaped up and wet, it's almost too much to handle.

I am told that when a brush's loft is machine trimmed, even a very soft haired brush, it develops a very uncomfortable prickly quality. Perhaps this is what happened here?
    [B]Every opinion fairly considered, every response courtly.[/B][SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling Express View Post
    I am told that when a brush's loft is machine trimmed, even a very soft haired brush, it develops a very uncomfortable prickly quality. Perhaps this is what happened here?
    Could be. That would make sense. I'm hoping that's not the case however and it's more a matter of needing some breaking in or something along those lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

It very well could be a TGN Silvertip that are actually on the prickly. I'm almost certain that is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A picture would get you some clearer answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    A picture would get you some clearer answers.
    Here it is

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Is the brush brand new? Does it smell funky a bit?
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!
    Drop by the B&B Video Library Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, that's the first thing I checked. It smelled like some sort of cream or soap, which I know isn't good for me as it's possible that it's already broken in and the brush is how it will forever be.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justinsane View Post
    No, that's the first thing I checked. It smelled like some sort of cream or soap, which I know isn't good for me as it's possible that it's already broken in and the brush is how it will forever be.
    Well, you got 2 options from here (more actually but this is what I would do)...

1-Try to work on the brush like a new brush and break it (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139297)

2-De-knot and re-knot with a silvertip from TGN...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

It's a copy of a Shavemac #177 handle. If some independent brush maker in the US made it, it's probably a TGN or similar knot. Did the seller say who made the brush?

-Andy
    Last edited by andrew98; 07-29-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Well, you got 2 options from here (more actually but this is what I would do)...

1-Try to work on the brush like a new brush and break it (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139297)

2-De-knot and re-knot with a silvertip from TGN...
    I've had it sitting in some cream since the shave. I rinsed it to take the picture and it's back in there now. I've messaged the original owner to try to get more info but nothing yet. It's a very odd brush as due to it's prickly state I could see it being some sort of badger or best badger but the tips are incredibly soft which leads me away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew98 View Post
    It's a copy of a Shavemac #177 handle. I can't believe someone would copy an iconic handle design like that. If some independent brush maker in the US made it, it's either a TGN or similar knot. Did the seller say who made the brush?

-Andy
    Negative. I should have asked but this was my first trade on here and my ignorance may have got the best of me here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I just received a message from the original owner who basically said "I told you so." He's saying that he said the brush had backbone, but this is more than just a lot of backbone. However, he did say he only tried it twice which means there is some hope for it to break in a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

So I just received a message from the original owner who basically said "I told you so." He's saying that he said the brush had backbone, but this is more than just a lot of backbone. However, he did say he only tried it twice which means there is some hope for it to break in a bit.
    Do the hair tips come to a fine point, or are they squared off, as if they've been cut with scissors? If the hair hasn't been trimmed, it may lighten up after a while. Ambrose described a break-in procedure that may help you out.

-Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew98 View Post
    Do the hair tips come to a fine point, or are they squared off, as if they've been cut with scissors? If the hair hasn't been trimmed, it may lighten up after a while. Ambrose described a break-in procedure that may help you out.

-Andy
    They aren't cut. The break in process is under way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Nice. Hopefully, it'll work out for you.

-Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Default Is your avatar a dog with a bloody mouth?

Justinsane,

Dat's an ugly dog. Has it been eating chickens?
    Oog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Looks like a QED Select brush in Best to me.
    I even had that same brush model, and found it to be very prickly.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Let the breaking process continue and you might need a few days to make sure it works well. If it's still not to your liking, just get another knot from TGN and re-knot the brush...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Justinsane,

Dat's an ugly dog. Has it been eating chickens?
    Oog.
    It's actually a very angry badger who just finished eating something.

Quote Originally Posted by huntmol View Post
    Looks like a QED Select brush in Best to me.
    I even had that same brush model, and found it to be very prickly.

I'm not sure what it is. I would agree with you outside of the fact that the tips are some of the softest I've ever felt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast