What's new

Progress vs Futur

What makes the Red IP Blades better suited? I have only used Feather and Bic Chrome Platinums. Mainly because I was well stocked in both, but ready to buy again.

Blades, just as razors, are a very personal choice. Some work for people, some don't work at all for others.

I just found the combo Futur + Red Personna blades to be the best for me. For example you mentioned the two blades that i think are the most overrated blades in bladeland. I can't stand BIC blades (they shred my neck to pieces) and found feathers simply overrated and too expensive for what they are.

My progerss went back to merkur after 2 months because of a big crack down the handle, customer service was superb, new progress sent out with the minimum of fuss, it was my first de, and still in my rotation and i love it, futur is a different razor altogether, its a hefty, mean razor, but, once you get used to it, brilliant, very close shaves can be had with this razor, though it does bite me now and again:thumbup1:

i have a futur and feathers, and the feathers do the job well indeed, but they are NOT forgiving at all.
just tried my 1st personna blade in the futur and it was significantly smoother than feathers, not a nick or abrasion.
havent tried many blades yet myself, but so far the feathers are #1 in sheer sharpness, but again, always seem to have a nick or 2.
But i also see the attraction to the IP\s, verrrryy smoooth!!
i will have to try many kinds as they they are alllll different.

IP reds are smooth city.. they just don't last me more than 3 shaves is all. I recommend these and the 7oclock yellows and blacks for smooth shaves and more shaves from a blade.

I have the Progress, but the handle is too short for me..I need to adapt a pipewrench handle to it...may purchase a Futur based on this thread.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am thinking of the future between the two. I got both when I first started out, but sold them because I didn't know squat about DE shaving or how to make a proper lather.

I am thinking of the future between the two. I got both when I first started out, but sold them because I didn't know squat about DE shaving or how to make a proper lather.

I haven't tried a progress but I'm a big fan of the Futur. Have to be a little careful with changing the blade as you likely remember from the one you sold. Let us know what you decide on!

proxy.php

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I haven't tried a progress but I'm a big fan of the Futur. Have to be a little careful with changing the blade as you likely remember from the one you sold.

proxy.php
Yup [emoji52] . Cut myself fiercely with that futur as I remember...

Unfortunately, I didn't try the Progress. But Futur, is, for me, what "german engineering" should mean in a DE razor. Balance is just perfect, exactly on the handle mark, the cutting angle is the natural one, the general weight makes it easy for you to get what "no pressure" really is. Merkur Futur opened my eyes on what "perfect shave" actually is and I'm using it daily since then. I tried different razors in the time, but I couldn't find any that come even close.

Some people are complaining about it being bulky. I don't find it bulky. I just put it next to my Fatip Grande, the distance from the top to the blade is the same. That's what matters when you are shaving under the nose or on some weird areas.

Changing the blade is as simple as it can get. No screwing, just pop the head, you can do it one-handed. And cutting when adjusting it... That's a bit silly. Sorry if someone cut, but, you can use safer positions. Here are two grips for when I'm adjusting it. I can't see how I can cut using any of them. I usually use the first one.

$IMAG0173.jpg$IMAG0174.jpg

The futur was my first DE razor. Not that I'm a veteran in any way, only wet shaving since the beginning of June, but I must say, the razor was a great first one for me. The weight is perfect and the adjustability is fantastic. It did take a little getting used to shaving below my nose, but after that, I get a BBS with a Personna Red loaded in it every time. And for 56 bucks on Amazon, to me, it was a steal. I keep it in rotation with my ATT, IKON X3, Delta Echo Slim and Fatip Piccolo. As one member mentioned, I want to try Gillette Yellows and blacks in it. One thing I want to mention, for some reason, it's the only razor that I don't have to hunt for a good angle. Perhaps it's the shape of the head. Who knows. But it works well for me.

All of the Merkur adjustable razors are pretty nice

3 of my favorite adjustable are Merkur

L --> R Vision, Futur, Super Adjustable, long Progress, short Progress

proxy.php

I prefer my Futr over Progress , no quality issue with either of them just like the weight of the futr.
But i am currntly enjoying my Rockwell 6s set at plate #4. love how it sounds as it cuts.

I started DE shaving with a futur, love it once I tamed it. Then I had my progress long handle turned into a mergress and it's been my go to razor. I start at 4.5-5 on my first pass then dial it down to 3.5 on the 2nd and to clean up if I don't do a XTG 3rd pass. It also balances well in hand.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I prefer my Futr over Progress , no quality issue with either of them just like the weight of the futr.
But i am currntly enjoying my Rockwell 6s set at plate #4. love how it sounds as it cuts.
How do you find the Rockwell vs the futur?

I have owned both and prefer the Progress by miles, in the short handle version (don't care for the long handle). A very smooth, very efficient razor that is my daily driver.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Does the Rockwell shave as close and efficiently as the futur?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have owned both and prefer the Progress by miles, in the short handle version (don't care for the long handle). A very smooth, very efficient razor that is my daily driver.

There have been no adjustment issues then? The knob it comes with works well?

There have been no adjustment issues then? The knob it comes with works well?

I've experienced no adjustment issues.

What needs to be remembered about the Progress is that it is infinitely adjustable (there are no click stops). Thus when deciding on an "adjustment setting" you are just deciding how much blade exposure you want on a very granular level. This to me is a much more desirable type of adjustment as opposed to the definitive settings of more traditional adjustable razors.

Top Bottom